Rod Change Gearbox

rjgy

Rod Change Gearbox

Post by rjgy »

Need some more advice!
Is it possible and practical to install a rod change gearbox into a 1972 Moke thereby replacing the existing 'magic wand. gearchange?
Am I being naïve, but the only thing that I would have to change are the drive shafts. The rod box has CV joints. And recondition the newer box.

Richard
Willie_B

Re: Rod Change Gearbox

Post by Willie_B »

I had Guessworks in the UK build me a magic wand trans that has 4 synchro internals, cross pin diff, 3.44 final drive with pot joint output. Yet it still has the magic wand shifter. If you change to a rod change the shifter is in a different location and requires a new hole and mounting.
Live Laugh Moke
Tim

Post by Tim »

All Mokes from about 1973 onward had rod-change boxes, but the rods themselves are shorter than Mini ones. There are two lengths - not sure why - but for an early moke you want the shorter version. The gearstick then lines up nicely with the original hole in the floor and even uses the same rubber boot. You'll have to build a plate to attach the box at the bottom of the gearstick to the underside of the floor.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

As Tim says, you need a support bracket for the gear mechanism. It’s not too hard but it does mean the exhaust has to curve below it
There’s some pictures of the required setup that dean pioneered somewhere in here.
Come on summer
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:45 There’s some pictures of the required setup that dean pioneered somewhere in here.
That was for the facelift model (1980 on).
Dean
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

True……but I put the same on mine and it fits.
Come on summer

Return to “Engine/Transmission/Clutch”