Fuel tank removal

Jan

Fuel tank removal

Post by Jan »

I have a 1989 Portuguese moke and the sender in the fuel tank needs replacing.

Am I right in suspecting that I must remove the tank to do this and, any advice on the process would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Fuel tank removal

Post by grantourer »

Hi. yes you will need to remove the fuel tank. Remove the tank cover plate. Make sure that the tank is empty, as the fuel outlet is in the middle, and at the bottom of the tank. Once the fuel line is disconnected, undo the straps, with the fuel filler cap removed turn the tank anti clockwise and it should drop out. Then you can change the sender, and as they say refitting is the reversal of removal.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Yes the tank needs to come out and while I’ve no experience of a Portuguese, if it’s anything like the earlier versions it’s fairly straightforward
Come on summer
Jan

Post by Jan »

Thanks for the advice.

Is the tank (filler 'spout' ) sealed to the assembly that the filler cap fits to?

Jan
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Jan, no it is not fixed to the vehicle, just a comfortable almost interference fit.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Jan

Post by Jan »

Thanks....

...one wonders why it is such a long job to replace the sender; something that does fail from time to time.

Jan
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Cost saving. Earlier Mokes had a panel in the top of the panier , which allowed access to the sender, held in with 2 Zeus fasteners. Which all costs money. Remove the panel, money saved. and one less operation during assembly.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Jan

Post by Jan »

I have now removed the tank. The sender was very rusty as is the inside of the tank and filler spout.

What is the best way to clean the inside of the tank?

Advice/experience most welcome...

Also, would it be sensible to replace the fuel line and if yes, what is the best stuff to use.

Thanks,

Jan
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Jan, if your fuel pipe is rubber, then it will need replacing. I used 1/4 Cunifer pipe. with new Ethanol safe joiners to the tank and pump, it is a very awkward job, but well worth it Somerford do it by the metre:- https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/fuel-pi ... -per-metre.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Jan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 13:46 What is the best way to clean the inside of the tank?
As no-one answered your question re: how to clean the tank I will step and give you my experience of doing this on my '69 Triumph Bonneville.

Once the tank has been removed fill it with old nuts/bolts, anything else you have at hand and shake it. Then shake it again and, once you think you've done it, shake it again. Give it all a good rinse out with petrol. I then used a POR15 kit to clean the inside of the tank and coat the inside with a paint protector. Make sure you protect the screw threads when coating the interior or you'll have to clean the threads out with a tap. POR15 is supposedly resistant to ethanol as well so should future proof it.

Hope that helps
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Also cover the fuel inlet pipe and filter screen before painting. A bitch to reach inside with a baggie and tape.
Live Laugh Moke

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”