MMC Member

Fuel Gauge replacement

Post by Doug G »

Anyone got one of these?

Cover/connection ends Image

Side view

The inside

because I need a replacement :D
Last edited by Doug G on Fri Jul 13, 2012 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Re: Fuel Gauge replacement

Post by Tim »

Ooh yuck, what has been in your fuel tank?
Sorry , I sold my spare to Dave Biss. Unless someone has a spare, I think you're going to be really up against it to get another one. There is a chance that an Australian Mini one can be cannibalised and made to work, or maybe even the innards of a UK Moke one, but I think the UK ones bolt in rather than using that bayonet ring arrangement.

They can be repaired, there is almost nothing inside them, just a coil of wire of known resistance with a moving contact that sweeps over it. A decent instrument repairer would be able to clean it up and wind on a new wire.

Your two hopes of finding one in Australia are John Smidt, "The Mini King", miniman@healey.com.au or ask on the Australian Moke forum.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:Ooh yuck, what has been in your fuel tank?
Tim
It appear years of #400040]accumulated gunge[/color], and #BF0000]rust[/color] along with #404000]old fuel[/color] that had evaporated significantly. All due to previous owner(s). :evil:

The tank was then hosed out with water. We have good water pressure here.

We got about a measuring cup full of the gunge out of the tank.

The tank was then drained and a car exhaust blowing through it for about 10 minutes.
After that clean gasoline was poured in swilled around and emptied. The clean gasoline and swilling process was repeated twice.

The tank was then reinstalled. :)
Having a moking good time!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Later British Minis do use a bayonet fitting but the way the float arm fits to the sender is different if I remember correctly. I had a problem with the sender on my 79 Moke and contemplated using a Mini unit I had but in the end, I opened the Moke sender and repaired the wire break.
Dean
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes the mini sedan ones are sort of 90° to the Moke ones, however I think the Mini van ones are almost the same shape as the Moke ones, but they have the bolt holes around their perimeter rather than the bayonet fitting. I'd be confident that the innards have the same electrical properties but I don't know whether they'd be very easy to swap across.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I can't see the problem ! After all you've got a proper Moke. So you can just take off the filler cap and check the contents,even when on the move
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

It would be nice to have another instrument on the Mini Moke that works. . . :P
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Dean wrote:Later British Minis do use a bayonet fitting but the way the float arm fits to the sender is different if I remember correctly. I had a problem with the sender on my 79 Moke and contemplated using a Mini unit I had but in the end, I opened the Moke sender and repaired the wire break.
Dean
Thing is Dean, that the sender unit is submerged as it connects on to the end panel of the fuel tank.

To use a top mounted sender unit would require cutting another hole ( :shock: ) in the top of the fuel tank.

Mind yo it too would get submerged in fuel. Is that OK? :roll:
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G wrote: Mind yo it too would get submerged in fuel. Is that OK? :roll:
Yeah, that's how they're designed. All those little sparks in there too..

Tim
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim

Post by Tim »

Who knows. Modify a Mini van one, at least it will be electrically compatible. The holes around the outside edge will be the problem.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Actually I reckon this one might be an even better starting point, assuming it has the same resistance as an early one you probably only need to bend the wire. I'm not sure why it has three terminals though, it would only need two. I assume it can be wired to measure either increasing or decreasing resistance for multiple uses. To be electrically compatible it would need to have a range of 20 -260 ohms (approximately).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portuguese-Ca ... 1455wt_687

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I was going to say, M Parts have been advertising those and English/early Aussie ones on ebay for a bit now
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I am a bit wary of eBay.

Never have bought anything off of it.

I had a load of issues setting up a Paypal account.

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”