Fuel leak question

Robin Jones

Fuel leak question

Post by Robin Jones »

I've asked this over on a US based Mini message board. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask over here too for more ideas...

I had all of the fuel system apart from the carb back to the tank this past weekend to install a NOS fuel sending unit. (Nice having an operational gauge)
Now, overnight I'm getting a strong fuel smell in the garage.
When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump priming the system back up to pressure. (It always held it previously)
I've had my hands and nose at each connection and just can't seem to find any leaks.
Any tips or tricks to narrow this down?
Is there any sort of dye like they use for finding coolant leaks?
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Tim

Re: Fuel leak question

Post by Tim »

I'm not aware of any dye, but there probably is. The dye in the fuel itself usually becomes apparent after enough fuel has evaporated.

I thought they were meant to smell of fuel?

Tim
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Well, I'm pretty sure I found it. The area around the sending unit is damp.
So, out with the tank.... again. sigh.
Why, oh why didn't BMC make that hole just a little bit larger??? Would've been a ten minute job...
Anybody know of a good gasket goop to use around fuel?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've never had any success with the silicone type ones, they tend to go mushy over time with petrol, you don't want blobs of it falling into the tank.

The old fashioned aviation form-a-gasket (called loctite #3 these days) is about the best thing I can suggest, it will wash out with large amounts of fuel but it tends to goop up little leaks OK.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Why not weld it up ? :D
Come on summer
Elijaah

Post by Elijaah »

Hi,
Now there is no need to weld it up.
Just order the dye at this link and get it.
http://www.tecalemitspares.co.uk/leak-e ... p-129.html -
Thanks
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Do NOT use silicone.

It will absorb Gasoline and expand to many times its original volume, become mushy and probably block your uptake.

Trust me on this.
Having a moking good time!
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

I've got the problem pretty much "sorted".... By sorted, I mean I've got more work to do.
The permatex #3 worked a treat & the sending unit area is dry as a witch's fart. :D
But, I still smelled fuel..... kept feeling around and found the area around the drain plug a bit damp with fuel. Tightened it and even used an o-ring type oil pan washer to no avail. Took a closer look and the patch that the DPO* had welded in the area is leaking out of a hairline crack...
So, out with the tank again this spring. :roll: I'll have it welded up properly.

*DPO=Dumb Previous Owner-Be careful what you say about 'em. Because we all wind up as one sooner or later....
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Robin, PM me your email address. I've got some reading material that may be of use/interest
Come on summer
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

I know this is a really old topic, but the problem may have crept back up again. Could this be a result of mostly sitting or just age? I am not a fan of dealing with fuel besides putting it in. I would like to make this problem go away with aftermarket everything. I would also like to be able to change it back to stock for "originalness." Is this going to be an absolute dream? (Meaning "IMF, Impossible Mission Force.") It is mom's car, but she sure as heck isn't going to do anything about it.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Where is it leaking Matt? From the bottom of the fuel tank? If so its probably a hole corroded through. I'm not sure if the UK tanks are the same as the Australian ones, but they are probably pretty similar. Ours have a small bump at the bottom, a sump, where the pickup and the drain plug can be at the lowest point. Its also where water droplets collect, and its pretty common for them to perforate there. In fact most secondhand tanks I've seen have pinholes in the sump.

I guess the proper solution is a new tank, but the holes can be soldered up, and in desperation I once 'temporarily' patched one with a blob of epoxy putty (which ended up lasting longer than the Moke itself).

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Ok, so I have had the access panel off where the pump/filter is and don't see any signs of leaking. (Put down a blue shop towel and left it a couple of days. Didn't smell like petrol when I checked outside the garage.) Will have to check up on it again soon. MME is coming soon so we will have plenty of "experts" to hopefully diagnose the problem.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Matt,
Try removing the access panel beneath the tank and inspecting the bottom of the tank itself.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

Oh and by the way. What panel underneath the fuel tank? I never took it off and I do not know where it is at. It seems ok otherwise.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Matt,
It's the removable floor panel beneath the fuel tank, it's usually bolted in place with 10 bolts. This is the panel that comes off to enable the tank to be inspected/removed. If the tank is leaking then taking this panel off should reveal it.
cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”