Heaters

Tim

Heaters

Post by Tim »

Its starting to cool down again on this side of the planet and I had a frosty run in to work this morning. It idly occurred to me that I wouldn't mind being a bit warmer in the Moke. I have the standard heater for a mid-late '70s Aussie, which looks like this:

I believe its similar (but not identical) to UK Mini ones from around that period and later. I'm thinking about options for souping it up a bit, but still keeping it fairly original looking. Any suggestions?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Heaters

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

As heaters go they're not too bad, I think the problem(s) is the warm air gets diluted so much with all the breezes, you can also get the core silting up with age and even being air locked.
Solutions, new heater or core = expensive. Flush out the existing one = cheaper but not guaranteed. Drive with the hood up = sacrilege.
There is always the trick of sticking the demister pipe up your trouser leg too..... At
East a bit of you gets toasty
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

What temperature thermostat are you running Tim? Try an 88 or 92 degree one. Won't hurt the car one bit but will make the heater work much better. Also, if you haven't already, block off that stupid by-pass hose.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Tim,
Heaters fine, just get a one piece flying suit (paragliders have them) and stick the windscreen vent tubes up the trouser legs! Warm as toast!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

You'll look like you're driving round in your sleeping bag though :D
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

No, I look like Im driving in a moke glowing with warmth!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've ordered an 88°C thermostat, and I'll have a fiddle with the tap on the end of the head, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I have the knob on the dash pushed in or out, the heater temperature stays about the same. Does anyone know which is meant to be the 'on' position?

I won't worry about the bypass hose for now, can't be bothered taking the head off.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I honestly can't remember exactly......but I think it's in for hot
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I honestly can't remember exactly......but I think it's in for hot
Yeap, like everything else Moke, it's back to front to what you'd think. Topless is on the money.
Tim

Post by Tim »

OK, I think I'd better take the tap off and check what its doing. It doesn't seem to make much difference. Its only a few years old, I had to replace the original one which was like a crusted block of corroded alloy when I got it.

Tim
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Tim, those (so called) taps were never brilliant and very prone to leaking. I don't run them at all anymore, I only have elbow fittings on them, it just keeps the coolant circulating through it all the time. Summer, I just close the flap.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Yes, the later type(you probably didn't get them over there) just had a take off pipe bolted to the head and a plastic control fitted in the pipeline itself
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Topless, would you have a photo of one of these? and were they any good?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I can have a rummage but it'll have to be later, I'm supposed to be off to work at the mo
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Later is OK, but work is over-rated.

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”