Mini moke fuel gauge?

nanitta

Mini moke fuel gauge?

Post by nanitta »

Hi All,

I'm Adriana and I'm new to the forum. I am desperately looking for a fuel gauge for my 1989 Austin Mini Moke. (The details on the "Car papers" reads: Austin Rover Portugal XK Mini Moke)

Need to replace the existing one as I am no longer willing to end up with no fuel in a motorway.... Horrible experience!! :?

I have had a look online but, to be honest, I don't know what I need to look for exactly, can someone here give me a hand? :D

I look forward to read your responses.

Many thanks.

Adriana
spider
MMC Member

Re: Mini moke fuel gauge?

Post by spider »

Hi Adriana,

Welcome to the forum, though I'm sorta new here myself!

I'm not 100% sure what sort of fuel gauge was being fitted by 1989, so any chance you maybe able to post up a photo?

Also, if the gauge is the type I'm have a wild guess that it is (Japanese), then I'd actually suspect it would be the Sender, that's located in the Fuel Tank itself.

Have you done any checks on the system to see what part of it is faulty?
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
nanitta

Post by nanitta »

Hi Spider,

Thanks for your reply. No pictures I'm afraid, as I'm in UK whilst the car is back in Italy (which is where it is used). I will be in touch with the mechanic who spotted the issue to see what it is faulty exactly and come back here. In the meantime, if someone else has any other thought on the topic, please share it!

Cheers

Adriana
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Adriana,
Welcome to the forum!
Have a look at the post 'Fuel gauge replacement' about 4 below yours, some useful info. Both M Parts and Moke Panels.com sell sender units, but as ever its deciding which type as well as if the problem is the sender(usual culpret) of the gauge itself. If it is the gauge then e-bay is proberbly the best option.
There are lots of help on the web if you google 'classic mini fuel gauge' it gives help sites, mainly on mini clubs but all good stuff.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
nanitta

Post by nanitta »

Hi Chris,

I have been in touch with M Parts and he confirmed that he has a sender in stock. Unfortunately I'm not very practical of parts and all mechanical things :oops: I'm just doing "the middle man (well, woman!)" cause my mechanic can't find this replacement in Italy.

If I buy both the sender and a gauge, will I cover all the options available in order to solve the issue? I don't mind buying both, as they may be always handy and perhaps help other fellow Moke Lovers in my little village where I am originally from. (there are other 4/5 in town).

Thanks all!

Adriana.
Wally2 wrote:Hi Adriana,
Welcome to the forum!
Have a look at the post 'Fuel gauge replacement' about 4 below yours, some useful info. Both M Parts and Moke Panels.com sell sender units, but as ever its deciding which type as well as if the problem is the sender(usual culpret) of the gauge itself. If it is the gauge then e-bay is proberbly the best option.
There are lots of help on the web if you google 'classic mini fuel gauge' it gives help sites, mainly on mini clubs but all good stuff.
Cheers
Chris
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Adriana,
Only other possibility would be a wiring fault, but you mechanic should be able to check that out easily enough.
Fuel tank sender from M Parts is approx. £36 with the gasket and looks all plastic, from Moke Panels its £19.20 and is metal as per the original ones, not sure which would be the better choice.
As for the fuel gauge, not sure which type of speedo you have but this is a replacement to fit in the central speedo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Classic- ... 5#ht_0wt_0 at £29.99

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Wally2 wrote:Hi Adriana,
Only other possibility would be a wiring fault, but you mechanic should be able to check that out easily enough.
Chris
+1. This is why I asked what tests had been done, as replacing all the parts may not solve the issue.

1 simple test if you could perhaps ask your mechanic to do this and it will steer you in the right direction. Remove the wire (there's only 1) from the sender on the tank and short that to ground (body), with the key ON, the Gauge should read FULL (or even a bit more).

- If the Gauge Reads FULL that means the sender is faulty
- If the Gauge doesn't move at all, then it could be Gauge or Wiring Fault.

The earlier models had a Voltage Stabaliser, which I'm fairly sure your model didn't have, but I'm not 100% sure on that, hence why I asked for the photo of the gauge. If your Moke was fitted with the Instruments that I suspect it may have, they also had a flexibly type of printed circuit on the back of them which are also re-known for cracking and will give troubles like this.

Do you think your mechanic could take a photo and send it over to you, so it can get posted up here?

No point at all in buying any or even all the parts if they are not the right ones for your model Moke.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Spider, the printed circuit was only ever used on the offset type instrument panel. As Mokes only have the good old fashioned central speedo they retain the good old fashioned copper wiring 8)
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Spider, the printed circuit was only ever used on the offset type instrument panel. As Mokes only have the good old fashioned central speedo they retain the good old fashioned copper wiring 8)
Did the later (ie post 84-ish) Mokes still have a Central Speedo? I honestly don't know, I suspected that in line with everything else they did with the Moke by then, they may have also rationalised the Instruments in line with that from a Mini as well.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

All Mokes were fitted with the central speedo setup.
Another problem is this Moke is a Portuguese model and most of these don't have the handy access panels atop the panniers. The only way to get to the sender is to remove the fuel tank. You may be able to perform an earth test on the sender by tracing the sender wire back but it's not as simple a test as it is on all other Mokes and Minis.
Dean
nanitta

Post by nanitta »

Hi guys,

I messed up things and thought that the fuel gauge was something different...ops!!! :shock: I have spoken to the mechanic and is the fuel sender that needs to be replaced, the gauge works...so I will be buying one.

Once again, thanks all for your replies and have a good weekend.

Adriana
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

My sender looked like this when I cleaned out the fuel tank and took it out.

Having a moking good time!
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I opened the sender and thsi is what it looked like inside. :o

Image Image
Last edited by Doug G on Sun Jun 15, 2014 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

The outer cover of the sender looks like this.

nanitta

Post by nanitta »

Thanks all guys, I have ordered a fuel sender replacement from Mparts. Not sure when I'll be able to have it fitted (still haven't planned any holiday but hopefully will go back home at some point between July and September!, but I'll let you know in the next couple of months.

Ciao!

Adriana

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”