'Normal' running temperature?

Wally2
MMC Member

'Normal' running temperature?

Post by Wally2 »

Anyone know what the normal running temp for a 848cc A series engine is?
mine was running between 80 and 85 degrees C but now I've fitted electronic ignition and had it tuned properly, its running at 85 to a shade over 90 degrees C depending on the speed. Its running far better after the tune and I'm not loosing any coolant so I'm not too worried, but cannot find anything on the internet or in the manual.
Chris
Last edited by Wally2 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: 'Normal' runnig temperature?

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Here's an easy cure........ Fit a gauge that says C - N - H then you won't worry so much :) It works for me
Come on summer
Tim

Re: 'Normal' runnig temperature?

Post by Tim »

Normal running temperature should be a few degrees above the thermostat temperature, normally somewhere around 82-88°c. In hot weather they'll happily run a lot hotter than that though.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Robin Jones

Re: 'Normal' running temperature?

Post by Robin Jones »

What's this temperature gauge of which you speak???
Ignorance can be bliss.... :roll:
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

As Tim has said, it should run around Thermostat Temp, however, just that it ran for so long at X reading on the Gauge and now you've changed to Electronic Ignition and had it tuned, it now runs at X+ 5 degrees I'd say is reason enough to look further in to it.

When you say it's been tuned, can I ask how and was it to published figures? If so, remember, these would have been for leaded fuels. I've found those numbers to be quite a way out with the unleaded stuff we all have to drink these days. To run on unleaded, you will need to retard the ignition timing by a few degrees, I can't really say how many though as there are a number of factors involved, but if you back it off by about 2 degrees, then try it and go back about 1 degree at a time from there until it seems it's old self. This is really only a rough guide.

Unleaded fuels burn faster than the old leaded ones, this is why the Igntion timing would (now) be over-advanced.

The other thing to check is that the Mixture is not leaning out, it might be fine at idle, but is it right when driving? Go for a drive, a good 15 - 20 minutes with it warmed up, then while at driving speeds, cut the engine and coast to a stop. Pull a spark plug and that will tell just about the whole story.

Look up one of the Spark Plug charts, like this, and it will help you read the story being told;-

http://www.cyclepedia.com/spark-plug-troubleshooting/
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Chris. You cannot beat a good Rolling Road session. This looks at all the engine factors from idle to flat out. Contrary to public belief, any vehicle can benefit from a session on the Rollers.

My Moke was done at Southam Mini, standard 1275, now no end better.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”