twin tank conversion

garry clayton

twin tank conversion

Post by garry clayton »

Hello
I have just read a post that says one of the guys in Aus has converted his Moke to twin fuel tanks. I was wondering if anyone in the UK has done this yet? If so it would be great to see some pictures ETC.
I am going to PM the guy in Aus now and see how easy it actually is to do.

Kind regards
Garry
spider
MMC Member

Re: twin tank conversion

Post by spider »

Hey Garry,

Several of us have twin tank. I think it was bnicho's post you may have read that in. The distances out here between places (anywhere) are somewhat further than what they are in the UK, so anything that gives extra range isn't a bad idea in these parts. The original stock 27 litre tanks don't go far at all!

This may give some idea of the distances we have here, a snap shot of my GPS

I'll leave bnicho (Brett) to speak of his second tank.

I also have twin tanks. My first conversion I did some 30 years ago. I had the stock 27 litre side tank and fitted an Austin Healy Bug Eyed Sprite tank inside the rear subframe - otherwise wasted space. I found out some 10 or so years later this was also used fitted as a standard tank in the (Aust) Export Model Moke.

I did run for a brief time with a big single tank, 50 litre, made from 2 side tanks;

My current Moke has twin tanks, custom made. The Auxillariy Tank is fitted inside the rear subframe and has a 40 litre capacity. That's the small one. The side tank uses every available square mm and holds 60 litres. So at 110 kph, I have a range of 1000 km, at around 80 kph, the range is increased to around 1600 km. I also carry a Jerry on the back - just in case!

Here's those tanks just before I fitted them;-

Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

But where do you put all your...... Stuff
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:But where do you put all your...... Stuff
Under the seat, on the back,,,, where ever we can fit it!

(Apologies in advance for the colour of the sky, that's about all we get out there :( )

The fuel tanks are 'invisible', they don't take up any otherwise usable space ;)
alpinemoke

Post by alpinemoke »

I have also fitted twin tanks to my 1966 little wheeler moke, removed the battery & the baffle on the RHS and put it on the rear bumper bar.

I cut up a 20 lt jerry can to hide the battery. just used 2 standard top fill tanks & a little body work. then repainted the moke
it looks like new again.
garry clayton

Post by garry clayton »

Thanks for the replys
I have been given some dimensions and suggestions on how to fit a custom tank in the rear sub frame, along with the wiring etc. The extra space should allow me to do about 600 km. Not very economical but the engine has been tinkered with a little!!

Thanks again everyone for the replys
bnicho

Post by bnicho »

For the benefit of those who have not seen it, this is the details of the tank I had custom made for the rear subframe space. It allowed me to put the muffler over in the left third of the subframe and the tank next to it in the other 2/3 of the space. The 30 litre alloy tank was then specially made to fit. I replicated the path of the filler neck used on the Export Moke and used cap and neck fitting from a boat shop.

The tank is 460mm Left to Right, 440mm front to rear and 150mm high, giving 30 litres capacity. The sender is generic VDO. The outlet pipe and pickup inside is 8mm (5/16 "). The filler neck is 38mm or 1.5 inch. The rubber stoppers were used to space it out from the floor to allow room for the fuel sender wire and to clear the channel down the centre of the rear floor.

This is how I had the exhaust routed to allow room for the tank and decent ground clearance:

This is a rough diagram of how it all fits:

Rear View installed. You can see the silver tank and straps below the towbar:

With the plate flipped up to access the filler. I actually reversed this afterwards so the light is at the top and the plate flips downwards.

Additional fuel gauge in a pod under the dash:

Switch to select the tank. The switch surround apparently came off a WW11 Dodge or Blitz or something. Which I think is pretty cool! The switch opens 12v solenoids in the fuel line from each tank.

Filler neck view from inside:

The rear tank's been in use for a couple of years now. The only hassle is I cannot fill the rear tank flat out, as it just spits fuel back. But with the pump nozzle on a bit of an angle and running at about half throttle it fills without too much trouble.

My Moke is pretty economical so out of the two tanks I have a 600km safe range now. :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brett.
"Sell you my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!"
Mopoke - 1971 Aussie Big Wheeler Moke with 1275 A+ powah.
Plus classic Minis and a Beetle just to mix things up a bit.
garry clayton

Post by garry clayton »

Bnicho can I ask what size bore is your exhaust? and how have you got it routed around your gear shift? I have real trouble going over speed bumps in the road. When I drop the front wheels off the other side the exhaust hits the speed bump unless I ease the moke down slowly.
bnicho

Post by bnicho »

My gearshift is a Mini Rod change cut down to move the gearstick closer to the driver and allow more room for the exhaust in the tunnel. My exhaust is 1 3/4 inch.

You can sort of see it in these pics. The plate at the front is covering the original hole. I've tidied it up since I took this picture and relocated the reverse light switch to the other side.

The last Aussie Mokes had a similar setup and it's a fairly common mod here.

Cheers,
Brett
"Sell you my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!"
Mopoke - 1971 Aussie Big Wheeler Moke with 1275 A+ powah.
Plus classic Minis and a Beetle just to mix things up a bit.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

spider wrote:
Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:But where do you put all your...... Stuff
(Apologies in advance for the colour of the sky, that's about all we get out there :( )

We do get that colour sky here too (occasionally!!!!)

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

bnicho, love that switch!

Nice install, good work!

Wally, what part of the Northern Teritory is that? I don't recognise the street lights!
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Deepest Derbyshire! Unfortunately not like that today!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”