Air filter

serieslandy65

Air filter

Post by serieslandy65 »

Hi,

My 1986 Moke needs a new airfilter. The previous owner removed the original pancake type one and installed a K&N style one, but it doesn't quite fit. It has been crushed/bent to fit but still touches the body and bends the speedo cable. From pictures of other mokes and minis I have seen the carb sits at an angle to the top of the engine not flat like mine. Is mine supposed to be angled or flat? Or is their a special airfilter to fit a moke? Any suggestions would be great. I would post pictures of what I am trying to describe but I can't figure out how to.

Rory
Tim

Re: Air filter

Post by Tim »

I have no experience with a Moke as late as that, but there are a couple of things that control the angle that the carburettor sits at. The engine position and the angle of the inlet manifold are the two main ones, so it will depend on what has been done with them. I assume it has a standard HS4 (1 1/2") SU?

Is the K&N conical or cylindrical? The cylindrical ones usually have fitment problems. Also is there a dent in the firewall behind the carburettor? Some models have them and some don't. It can help a bit.

Even the factory air filter is a tight fit, mine hits the firewall, although I'm using an aftermarket inlet manifold. One solution to get a little more clearance is to use adjustable engine steadies to tilt the engine forward slightly.

There are instructions on attaching pictures in this post viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6423

cheers
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

Hi Tim,

Yes its the standard HS4 carb that has the conical type airfilter fitted. There is an indent on the bulkhead, but sits above the inlet, which also made me think the carb should be at an angle. The engine is a remanufactured A+ 998 from minisport in England from before I bought the car, could a moke inlet manifold be different to a standard mini? I will look into adjusting the engine mounts, although I believe that might mean buying some adjustable ones.

Hopefully I will have attached some pics of what I mean, thanks for the link.

Rory
IMG_20190521_170024.jpg
IMG_20190521_170024.jpg
IMG_20190521_170024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yep, that looks like mine. Its tight in there. The factory airfilter has an elbow that bends tightly upwards and just clears the firewall. If you do a search for previous posts about HIF44 carbs you'll see that some people have had to modify the speedo cable or use a longer one to get clearance. Some also thinned down the heat spacer to gain a few mm.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... 4&start=15

Its hard to tell from your photos, but it looks like you have a standard one piece cast inlet and exhaust manifold? That's what the factory used, so it should fit. I don't think there was any difference between MIni and Moke parts at that time. Maybe you need to source the original elbow and air box?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
serieslandy65

Post by serieslandy65 »

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks very much for the response. I have done a little fettling and made it fit with about 1/8" clearance, hopefully that is enough. Its good to know that the manifolds should be the same, I was wondering. Fairrly difficult finding information on the mokes.

Cheers

Rory

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”