Rear Shocks

Steve

Rear Shocks

Post by Steve »

#0000BF]I fit rear shocks that the club were selling a couple of years ago on my Ozzie, (Make/brand & length unkown) but I think I could do with a better quality make/brand as they appear to be pulling the back down a little to much, the pair I bought from Minisport for the front are fine. (Can't remember what they are but they were cheap!) Hi-Lo's and 13" wheels are fitted, so I am wondering if the rears were intended for use with 10" wheels

Any recommendations for some decent rear shockers? (I will change the fronts to suit at a later date)[/color]
Steve

Things go better with a Moke
Steve

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by Steve »

Now don't all rush at once with your recomendations :roll:
Steve

PJ

Post by PJ »

I've fitted Gaz adjustables on both my Mokes and until recently I would have said highly recommended, but one rear on the Aussie seems to be suddenly lacking in damping after about 10,000 miles. Don't know if this is just a one-off freak failure or a reflection on their quality.

36-point adjustment is a bit of a gimmick - I can't believe anyone could notice the difference one click makes unless you're on a track and your name is Jenson Button! - but different settings are needed, and the results are noticeable, between a 998 portuguese (engine is a little lighter) with smaller (read lighter) wheels and a 1275 with massive wheels and oversize (heavy) discs.

Interesting to set them at the lowest setting, particularly on the front - the resulting lack of traction, even in a straight line, has to be experienced to be believed. Not recommended to drive like that, but going to extremes on the settings is a good education in the function and effect of dampers.

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've looked at the Gaz adjustables and can see how they would effect the front end. I have adjustable shocks on my M/cycle and know what a difference they make, but what difference will they make for day to day driving on a Moke? I have not got rear seats fitted and the back end of a Moke is fairly light compared to say a Mini saloon? and is a Moke a little bit longer in the wheelbase? At some stage I will be pulling a lightweight trailer so looking to get the right shocks.

Would there have been shorter shocks produced for use with 10" wheels?
Steve

spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Sorry to drag up this old post, only just found it!

The Big Wheel Mokes were fitted with the same shocker on the rear as the Mini Van, they are a longer shock. Fitting Mini Rear shocks can be a cause of 'pulling' the rear down as they will be 'topped' out just about all the time.

To date, the only correct Rear Shocks I've been able to find are Spax ones, unless someone else knows of another.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
muddymoke
MMC Member

Post by muddymoke »

Hi spider
Do you know the length on the spax when fully extended?
Cheers
A Moke is for getting muddy not just for driving when the sun is oot !!!!!!!!!!!!
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

The shocks do nothing to "hold the rear up". They're dampers or shock absorbers......
If you're suffering from "droopy rear" syndrome, you'll either need to replace the cones or fit hi-lo's.... There again, unless you carry a lot of weight back there, I don't know if you could wear out the cones. I'm still on 46 year old ones. Maybe the knuckle has worn through the plastic housing....

Edit: I just "man read" the original post and assumed he had the proper shocks. So, yes, if they're too short, it'll cause a problem. But, I would think that would've been caught at assembly.
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

muddymoke wrote:Hi spider
Do you know the length on the spax when fully extended?
Cheers
Hey Muddy,

The correct rear Moke ones (which are the same as the Van) are 254 mm compressed and 410 mm extended. In the Spax Brand, their P/N is 158 / M3.

To date, these are the only ones that I currently know of that are the correct length, however, a lttle birdy has told me that very soon we'll hve some 'standrd' type shocks available, at a sensible price that are correct for the rear of the Big Wheel Mokes ;)

Note that as Robin has siad, shocks don't hold the vehicle up it is the rubber cone that does this, however, shocks of the incorrect length can have an adverse affect on your suspension performnce and in the case of fitting Mini Rear Shocks on to the back of Big Wheel Mokes will lead to broken trail arm pins.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Would I be correct in thinking that ,yes they are shorter, but standard shocks would suffice for a Moke that spent 99 -100% of its life trundling round on Tarmac roads? After all the problems arise when the suspension hits full droop.
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey Nigel, referring to Big Wheel Mokes here - actually you can expect problems, even running on tarmac type roads etc.

The problem arises from the rear suspension being so soft to start off with, you'd actually be VERY surprised at how much it does get compressed just in normal running about.

On full compression the rubber cone will bottom out on the subframe and in does so stops all travel very suddenly. If you've had hit a bigger bump in your travels, then even when the cone has bottomed out, the arm will still want to move and all that force / weight multiplied by 5 is coming down HARD on the inside of the Trailing Arm Pin, right on it's shoulder. If you've any added weight in the back of the Moke, then this becomes much worse.

Here's a pin removed not long ago from a BW Moke that was fitted with Mini Rear Shock and from what the owner tells me, he rarely had anything in the back;-

Caught it just in time;-

Here's a Mini and a BW Moke Rear Shock side by side, on full compression;-

and on full extension;-

Image[/URL]

So, fitting Mini Rear Shocks allows the rear suspension to over-travel.

Hope that's some help

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”