Steering column bushes

Wally2
MMC Member

Steering column bushes

Post by Wally2 »

Hi,
I've just replaced the felt lower bush (the flat one!) and the plastic upper bush on my 1965 English moke and it is now quite stiff to turn (off the car). I'm hoping that it will free off a little when I put the column back on the Moke, otherwise parking will be near on impossible! The manual is really helpful by saying 'ensure the inner column turns freely'! Reaming out a felt bush would be interesting!
Will leave putting it back on the Moke until tomorrow as i'm adding more oil to the bottom bush while its verticle ( I did soak it in oil for a few hours before fitting it).
Any one had similar experience?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Steering column bushes

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I can't recall ever replacing any..... So not much help at all really
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Cheers Nigel, about as much help as the manual! The bottom felt bush wear was picked up last year on the MOT and as I'd have to take the whole lot to bits it seemed the thing to do to change the top one as well. One interesting feature was as the bottom bush allowed movement between the inner and outer shafts one of the self tapping screws whch holds on the plastic cowling has actually scored the inner shaft. Must file down the sharp end before I refit it.

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

I only found this out the hard way, however, oiling the felt makes them swell and bite the shaft. They do need some oil though! When I did used to fit them, before fitting, I'd soak them, really soak them, then give them a squeeze in the press to get the excess oil out, then fit. The life of them is poor, even when the cars were built new. These days I fit Bushes that I make from HDPE - fit and forget.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Spider,
Thanks for that but too late, I'd already reassembled the column. I have re assembled the column into the Moke today and although it is a little stiff, its not too bad, I think it will ease off with use, however, theres no self centering of the steering at the moment!
What is HDPE?
When I ordered the bushes from Mini Spares they did have a plasic lower bush but it was for post 1985 cars, the felt lower bush was for the earlier cars. I've noticed on some of the other parts dealers (Moss Europe for one) that they also sell a seal for the bottom of the outer column, there is no mention of a seal in the manual and mine did not have one fitted, could have been useful, however, as oil is now finding its way out of the bottom of the column and onto the floor (good job Mokes dont have carpets!).
The most difficult part of the job was taking the horn slip ring and insulators/connections off the column in order to separate the two shafts.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Get down to the co-op and buy a couple of tins of spinach if you can't deal with the steering :lol:
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Oh, and don't buy an Aussie
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for that! Its either some spinach or a full size steering wheel!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel »

Wally2 wrote: What is HDPE?
HDPE is a high density polyethylene with good sliding properties. It should be quite easy to make the correct bush on a lathe.

I have replaced the felt bush once on a Mini with the original material and mounted it with some grease. No problems so far!

Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.com
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Wally2, yeah, you'll find over a few months it will come good. HDPE = High Density Polyethylene, it's that plastic stuff that they use to make Irrigation Pipe (The Black coloured ones) from for one common thing, but also many car manufacturer's currently use for bushes in the brake and clutch pedals.

The later plastic bushes don't fit the earlier columns, well, maybe if you've a steady hand and a good press ;). I've seen those seals listed in some of the UK Parts listings, but gotta say, I've never seen one, though in some of the 86 - 92 columns I've found a separate smaller plastic ring, it certainly wouldn't seal!
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I've got Armstrong power steering on my Mini Moke.

Having a moking good time!
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey Doug, I could do with some of that Power Steering some days!

This is the plastic ring I was referring to;-

Nothing special in that!

The original felt bush;-

I forgot earlier, however the Australian Built Steering Columns from abut 68-ish to 74-ish where actually fitted with a plastic bush on the lower end;-

These will interchange with the felt bush, no problem in that, only these bushes are NLA!

and this is the later UK Column Lower Plastic Bush

(and a big thanks to Dean ;) )
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

It almost looks as though you are trying to corner the bush market :shock:
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:It almost looks as though you are trying to corner the bush market :shock:
Only to take to it with a chain saw ;)
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Where is the access point for me to pour some oil into the steering column and 'wet' the felt etc?
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”