Rear Brakes

MiniCord

Rear Brakes

Post by MiniCord »

I bought new drums for my 65 British moke, however I bought regular Mini Drums.

Then I was told Mokes have a different rear brake drums with a spacer built in. Does anybody happen to know how thick is the spacer?

Thanks!

Miguel
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Rear Brakes

Post by Doug G »

I am interested in this as well as the rear drum brakes on my Mini Moke do not appear to work (well).
Having a moking good time!
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Guys,
According to Somerfords the built in spacer is 3/4"
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... page&id=60
See item 25

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

I'm pretty sure being a 65 model, it would have had plain spacerless drums, like the ordinary early model mini had.

I'll check the parts book in the morning.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Spider, mine was built November '65 and has these drums with built in 3/4" spacers, without them the tyre would rub on the trailing arms.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

MiniCord wrote:I bought new drums for my 65 British moke, however I bought regular Mini Drums.

Then I was told Mokes have a different rear brake drums with a spacer built in. Does anybody happen to know how thick is the spacer?

Thanks!

Miguel
Hi again, The other thing to consider is what are your existing drums like? If they have the built in spacer I would stick with them.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
MiniCord

Post by MiniCord »

I don't know what's in the car right now. I would have to wake it up from winter hibernation and remove the wheel.

This is the information I got:

Hugh Cannon: Since Mini sedans are narr ... built in.

The 3/4 drums would stick out to much. If it's either 3/4" or 1/2", it's easily solvable with a spacer. I just need to buy the right one.

Miguel
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

MiniCord wrote:If it had regular Mini drums on the rear, the wheels would set inboard too much. To solve this problem they put a spacered drum on the rear of Mokes to push the wheels out a little further.
In 30 years of Moke owning, I have never heard that before and am not sure I believe it.

My understanding is that the very first 1964 Mini Mokes did in fact have standard Mini rear drums. However after extensive testing, it was found that the build up of dried on mud on the radius arms led to the rubber wearing away on the inner wall of the rear tyres. So the answer was to use drums used on the later standard Cooper with the built in 1/4 inch spacer.

Later Australian Mokes and all Portuguese / Cagiva Mokes used rear drums with the built in 3/4 inch spacer.

Roger
Tim

Post by Tim »

Last time I looked, the drums with the smaller spacer were no longer available, and the larger spacer ones that are available new are hollow inside so can't be machined down.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

OK, now I have checked to be sure.

They were fitted with spacer drums P/N 12A1457, same as fitted to some of the Cooper Models (NOT Cooper S). I have measured these at being 5/8" as I do have a few sets in the shed.

<EDIT: The 5/8" I've measured was from the hub face to the face that the wheel would sit against, so overall, it would space the wheel out only about 1/2">

<EDIT: These were only fitted on the rears, the fronts had the plain flat drums >

The Australain produced Clubman Range from about 73 to 78 had in the Range an 'S' Model (which was only a dress pack on a 998 Model) , those made from around 73 to 76 were fitted with locally produced 1" spacered drums, however unlike the UK ones, the spacers on these are soild and can be machined down safely and no one would know the difference.
Wally2 wrote:Hi Spider, mine was built November '65 and has these drums with built in 3/4" spacers, without them the tyre would rub on the trailing arms.
Chris
OK, I also looked in to this too. The rear trailing arm and rim (wheel) is also the same as the Mini Range from 1961 up to (at least) 1978 and the Mini Moke while on 10" wheels shared the same parts, however the Mini had a plain flad drum, ie, no spacer, so your wheels shouldn't rub.
Tim

Post by Tim »

So which ones are these?

They seem to measure 9/16" between the face where the wheel mounts and the flat cast face.

These are off my Moke, but I think they are the wrong ones!

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Tim, they are also an Aust produced Drum and where the ones they fitted to the first of the Big Wheel Mokes through to the mid 70's - ish. These are a different drum to the ones were were talking about ^.

<Edit: I think the P/N on those was AYA4020, but don't quote me on that>

The Clubman ones I was on about are similar, only the spacer measures 1" from Hub to Wheel faces.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Interesting...
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

As the sun is shinning and my brakes needed adjusting, I took the opportunity to look at the rear drums. The distance from the hub face to the wheel face on the drum is 11/16". With the standard 3.5" wheel and tyre this gives a clearance of 13/16" from tyre to trailing arm. With the 5" alloys and tyres on the clearance is 7/16" so could not really do with the spacer being any less with the alloys on.
The drum has some cast in scallops on the rear face but some thickness could be machined off. The drum has a number stamped in which looks like 21A 1457? According to Somerfords 12A1457 is a drum with a 1/4" spacer?
I think best bet is to replace with what's on your Moke already.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
MiniCord

Post by MiniCord »

Hi Wally.

Because you're running wider tires, the drums with spacers makes sence, however, if you had the steelies with the regular tires, you would be ok without the spacers.

So, 1/4" is what I need.

As many said before, 12A1457 is not longer available, so a direct replacement is not an option. You will face the same issue when your drums need replacement.

So options are going with Drums with 3/4" spacers built in, which will push outwards the tires, or buy the regular brake drums and use wheel spacers.

Now, problem is, I can't seem to find a 1/4" spacer.

Miguel

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”