Mini Fin brake drums

Wally2
MMC Member

Mini Fin brake drums

Post by Wally2 »

In an attempt to improve the braking (reduce the fade) on my English Moke with drums all round, and not wanting to go to front discs, I have managed to get hold of a pair of original Mini Fin aluminium drums for the front (no spacer). I will fit them and see if they make a difference, they were not cheap but not far off the price of a pair of new Super fin rear drums (with spacer).
Why you can still buy new rear drums but not front non spacer ones is a mystery, I guess its because most owners will go for discs at the front.
I will see how these perform before weighing up if I should put them on the rear as well.
Has anyone out there had experience of these on their Moke?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Mini Fin brake drums

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Yup. I had a pair of the originals just like those, I used them on the rear of my mini for many years (with a spacer) When I was rebuilding the African I put them on the front of it..... They work fine, slightly improved braking I suppose and they look nicer than rusty cast iron
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

I've used the Super Fins on a number of cars, Minis and Mokes.

I found they really improved the Braking a lot, reduced fade (in fact it was gone altogether) and gave a better pedal feel.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

So 4 years later and with nothing to do in 'lockdown' I decided I'd fit the minifin drums. Good job that I did as on starting on the left front brake as soon as I removed the drum I noticed that one of the cylinders was leaking! Luckily it only leaked into the rubber cover and had not contaminated the shoes.
So now I have another job and have a new cylinder on order, will I ever get those new drums on?
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Surely if you do one you do them all.....And perhaps go the whole hog and get some silicone brake fluid instead of paint stripper
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Nigel, good idea especially as I've found 3 more cylinders just starting to leak! If I go to Dot 5 do I need to change the master cylinder as well? it's not been on long so I'd be reluctant to change it. As the master cylinder is the old tin can version, it stops ant fluid dripping down onto the paintwork so the need to go to Dot 5 is somewhat reduced.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I don’t think you can mix them. I switched over to it while refurbishing the mokes as I was replacing all the braking system (they both use it now).
Don’t forget, master cylinders seals can and do leak, even tin ones, and the first you know of it is a puddle of fluid In the footwell....I speak from experience, but luckily it was a puddle of DOT 5
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Nigel,
I've been digging around a bit more and found this on the mini spares site, it's strange that they dont sell it either.
www.minispare...silicone-valley.
It seems that the only benefit of the Dot 5 is that it wont strip paint, and although they say it will last a long time, some of the manufacturers still recommend changing it every few years.
So I will stick with the Dot4, think I will look to put new flexible pipes on as well if the whole system is coming apart. I'II need to change the fluid anyway, think its been in about 11 years!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Automec is the name to google for it......one downside by the way, is IS expensive
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Chris. I was told you can flush through with the silicon stuff. The silicon stuff is also non-hygroscopic, so minimizing corrosion. Also if you are taking the system apart fit braided brake hoses, they do not expand as much as rubber ones when you press the pedal.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Graham,
The link to the Mini Spares article doesnt seem to work so try this
http://www.minispares.com/article/Techn ... one-valley
I've put an order in for the brake bits, inc. some braided hose! Spoke to Steve earlier and he recommended them as well. I think the rubber ones on have been there all of 11 years! Only hope I can get them off without too much hassle.
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”