Steering Rack for a circa 1973 Aussie Mini Moke

Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Will this one fit mine is aRight Hand drive?

https://www.minisport.com/nam5058-brand ... m7306.html

Having a moking good time!
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Steering Rack for a circa 1973 Aussie Mini Moke

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Doug,
See post below
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=112
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
spider
MMC Member

Re: Steering Rack for a circa 1973 Aussie Mini Moke

Post by spider »

Appologies for a reply longer than you'd otherwise like, but I'd prefer to pass on all the right info on this.

Doug, the racks for the Aust Mokes are the same 'dimensionally' as the early MKI Mini and the early UK Moke ones. By 'dimensionally' I mean that it has the same travel and gave the same turning circle, but in reality, these were two completely different racks and other than the bearings and pinion seal, there was nothing else interchangeable between them.

When the UK MKII racks came out, these had an increased travel to them to reduce the turning circle of the Mini, however, this made the wheels foul the body pretty bad on the Big Wheel Mokes, so we fitted lock stops to these, but we only used the UK racks for a very short time. All new Steering Racks currently available are MKII types.

I think it was later in 68 we came out with the Aust Steering rack, basically a cut down version of the Austin / Morris Steering 1100 Series Steering Rack, but for all intents, was the same 'dimensionally' as the UK MKI Rack. These racks, basically being designed for a bigger car (the 1100 series) are considerably 'up-rated' inside compared o the Mini based racks and suit our Big Wheel Mokes perfectly. The one in my wife's Moke I reconditioned back in about 1986 and other than a few sets of boots, I haven't touched it since.

Be aware too that the steering arms on the hubs for a MKII type rack (like that for which you've put a link up for) are different and if fitting the later rack, these arms should also be changed (otherwise you might run out of threads or close to for doing the wheel alignment - could be embarrassing to say the least :oops: )

Coming to your question;- I wouldn't recommend a new rack, some are good and some are not. Many I see have worn out in about 12 to 18 months in a Moke. Other than boots, spares for these are not available (nor any UK rack for that matter).

They are not difficult to recondition and most wear parts for the Aust Racks are still available, I would suggest you go down this route.

Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”