Aussi brake master cylinder

SueandTom123

Aussi brake master cylinder

Post by SueandTom123 »

HELP, HELP, HELP

I have an Australian Mini Moke from 1982 which just failed it's MOT. It failed because of imbalanced front axle brakes, they found three brake cylinders gone and now the brake master cylinder is broken. The garage has problems sourcing a new one and already had two wrong ones delivered.

Can anyone help me out with some information? Is the Aussi brake master cylinder different to the normal Mini one? I thought drum brakes are drum brakes and the system is the same as the Mini system. I had no alternative but to have it MOT'd at a "normal" garage and they now seem clueless. Please help. I fear the worst.

Kind regards

Sue
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Aussi brake master cylinder

Post by grantourer »

Hi Welcome to the Forum. Where about are you? I guess you are in the UK, as you mention MOT. 2 types of Brake Systems have been fitted to mini's. Single line, both brake and Clutch master Cylinders look identical. Then there are the various Split systems which use a Dual master Cylinder. This usually has a separate Plastic Reservoir. You can get these from any reputable Mini Spare Supplier. My favourite is Somerford, speak to them, and they will help you. http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/home

Others have their favourites and there are plenty of Mini parts suppliers around.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

Sue, the Aussie Mokes used several different master cylinders over the years, and I'm not very familiar with the later cars, which had dual circuit brakes. I think that the original late model Moke one is no longer available, however the UK one from that time can be fitted as long as a set of conversion brake lines are also used.

Have a look on some of the Australian mini parts websites, they have some suggestions and their pictures might help
http://minikingdomonline.com.au/product ... -fittings/
http://minisport.com.au/master-cylindersa-parts-kits

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
SueandTom123

Post by SueandTom123 »

Hi,

yes, I live in Telford, Shropshire. At the moment, the garage has contacted minisport. Hopefully, they can help. The guy who looked after the Moke for me, retired. :cry: And now I am rather lost.

Thanks for the links. I will get the garage to send me a picture of the broken master cylinder. I truly hope, they haven't thrown it away yet. :twisted: :evil:

Sue
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, good news. Sue can you PM me.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

I fitted a GMC227 when I needed to replace my master cylinder (1980 Moke). They do sell a conversion pipe set but you will probably find these don't suit a Moke. You will need to change your pipe unions to metric and reverse how they are connected (top to bottom). Instructions are included with the GMC227.
Do you have a brake valve on the rear subframe or fitted to the engine bulkhead?
Dean
SueandTom123

Post by SueandTom123 »

Thanks Dean,

I have sent the link to the garage but haven't heard anything yet. Regarding your question about the brake valve on the rear subframe.... Well I am a girl. :lol: :lol: In other words, I have no idea, I am used to getting it into the garage to get a service done and an MOT, picking it up the next day and driving it during the summer. (Well, if it's not raining, which isn't too often in this country.)
Sadly, the guy who used to service the Moke, retired which has left me with no option than to try out a "general" garage. They used to work on Minis before, but it looks like they have not a lot of experience.

I guess, its time to built a garage and start learning myself. :? :?

Kind regards

Sue
SueandTom123

Post by SueandTom123 »

Hello eveyone

Got a call from the garage, they finally fixed the brakes. Yeah. MOT done. When I collected it, they said, they would not like to see it again any time soon. Well, I don't think I will use them again anyway.

At least, I now have a year to try and find a garage that actually know how to fix a Mini Moke. :? :? Now all that is needed is some sunshine. :D :D Thanks again for your advice.

Happy Moking
Tim

Post by Tim »

Great stuff Sue.

Don't worry about the sunshine take it out anyway.

cheers
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Be a bit careful if swapping from the original Tandem Master Cylinder to the GMC227 type. In the UK, these are fine, however in Australia, they don't comply and they are not legal;-

http://mokespider.wixsite.com/moke-trav ... -cylinders

According to the manufacturers, only the GMC 167 type (which is available) can be used.

I think it's a similar situation in Sweden and Switzerland, however, best to check with your local rules before swapping out.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”