Pinch Bolt

peterbradbury

Pinch Bolt

Post by peterbradbury »

Hi All,

I've had the steering column off today while doing some work. Having put it back in, I can't get the pinch bolt back in, has anyone ever had an issue getting one in? Any ideas on how to solve it? Once this is done I can get my MOT sorted and back on the road.

Cheers

Peter
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: Pinch Bolt

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
It could be that the hole through the column is not lining up quite right with the groove in the pin from the rack. Try pulling the column back (or pushing it down) as you try pushing the bolt in. They have to be lined up just right for the bolt to go in, it's a little fiddly as you cannot line it up by sight.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

There are a couple of different designs to the end of the pinion (the shaft with the spline on it that sticks up through the floor). Some just have a semicircular slice out of one side, others have a groove that runs right round. This is to allow the pinch bolt to pass through. If you have the style with just a single slice out of it, the steering column has to be aligned exactly on the spline, or the bolt won't go through. The split in the clamp has to be centred on the cut-out.
The style with the groove running right round is a lot more forgiving because you can have the steering column pointing in any direction.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Thanks, I'll have a play around with it again tomorrow and see what happens
67 Morris Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I might be mistaken here tim.....but I think the Aussie Moke on 13" wheels used a modified ADO16 steering rack as it was heavier duty and had the added advantage of the all round locating ring. The mini soldiered on with the annoying slot idea right until the end.
If I'm correct that's why you tend to get more of the easier to fit Aussie type racks over there whilst up here whenever a rack was replaced it was inevitably with a mini one (complete with inner wing rubbing) that is, of course, until the advent of the sportspack minis. No more rubbing but still the silly hard to hit slot
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Nigel, yes you could be right, the groove right round might be an Aussie thing. In that case, it makes it all the more important to get the orientation of the steering column correct.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

peterbradbury wrote:Hi All,

I've had the steering column off today while doing some work. Having put it back in, I can't get the pinch bolt back in, has anyone ever had an issue getting one in? Any ideas on how to solve it? Once this is done I can get my MOT sorted and back on the road.

Cheers

Peter

have you managed to get it back on?

Was there a knack that you learnt in doing it?
Having a moking good time!
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Time and patience seemed to be answer
67 Morris Moke

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”