Steering wheel required

baza

Steering wheel required

Post by baza »

Hi,
I am trying to source a Mark 1 mini moke steering wheel (my moke is a Dec 1966) and the one I have is broken. The original had a centre horn with a locking pin through the centre boss. The mini moke service parts list records the number as 8G6016. It is possible that a Mark 1 mini is similar. Can anyone help?
Many thanks
Barry
Tim

Re: Steering wheel required

Post by Tim »

Mark 1 Mini is Identical. I have at least one, possibly two, here. But they are heavy to post and I might be a bit far away.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
baza

Post by baza »

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your reply. I would be interested in your steering wheels . Is it possible to post a picture of them on line & advise of their condition & what price you would like for them? It would also be helpful if you could give me an idea of the carriage costs to the U.K.
Many thanks,
Barry
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Barry, I'll see what I can come up with. It will take me a couple of days.

In the mean time, I see that Minimail has one listed for 75 pounds, https://www.minimail.co.uk/parts/ and there's at least one on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Class ... SwQnNZ5NLy

Do you need a Morris or an Austin centre? I've only got Morris.

cheers
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Barry, I've had a look at what I had. I have two Mk1 Mini steering wheels, but I want to keep one of them. I was somewhat mislead when I bought the one pictured. It was claimed as fully restored, and painted with high gloss two pack paint. What they didn't say was that they hadn't repaired the cracks first, so they show through the paint. Its very common (I'd say normal) for these wheels to crack around the screw that holds the horn button in and at the bases of the spokes.

The cracks can be repaired by grinding them out and filling them before repainting, its just a shame this one wasn't done like that.

From the front the cracks aren't that visible, and I've deliberately used the flash to accentuate them (they are much less noticable under normal light).
SteeringWheel1.jpg
SteeringWheel2.jpg
SteeringWheel3.jpg
SteeringWheel4.jpg
I'd want about $100 (Australian) for the wheel (I paid a lot more than that , but they were lying b..s) and I haven't got a firm postage quote, but I'd guess around $70 for postage.

Alternatively there's another one on ebay, which says it has no chips or cracks, and is much closer to you. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/classic-mini- ... SwQcJZ6nKs

Oh, and I realised that I don't have any spare horn pushes/centres, sorry. I thought I had a couple, but I only have one repro and I need it for my Traveller.

cheers
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baza

Post by baza »

hi TIM thanks for all your efforts in locating mk1 steering wheel ,as you suggest I think looking a bit closer to home would be favourite . It seams ironic looking half way around the world when they were built 15 miles from where I live many thanks barry
Tim

Post by Tim »

No worries Barry. If you can't turn one up nearby this one will still be here.

cheers
Tim

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”