Shock absorber

Jan

Shock absorber

Post by Jan »

Some guidance, please...

I have a 1989 Portuguese Moke and I need to replace the shock absorbers.

Of all the types on sale might someone suggest part numbers and/or suppliers?

Any suggestions from those who have already replaced theirs would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jan
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: Shock absorber

Post by grantourer »

Hi Jan. I fitted standard Mini shocks to the front of our Portuguese and Mini Van/Estate ones to the rear. I use Koni's supplied by Somerford's.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Jan

Post by Jan »

My thanks for your reply. Jan
MalcolmH

Post by MalcolmH »

I am looking for new rear dampers for an 1989 Portuguese Moke as well. I e-mailed Somerfords- on the advice of this post - who replied as follows "Mini van rear dampers have not been available for many years. We use the standard saloon ones without any issues. I cant be sure, but I would assume that these would also work on a Moke. It may be worth checking with the Moke club before purchasing. Can anyone confirm that van dampers are preferred or else point to a suitable van damper alternative?
MalcolmH

Portuguese Moke Rear Dampers

Post by MalcolmH »

Mini Spares provided this helpful information. The van dampers were slightly longer than the saloon ones because the van had a slightly longer rear suspension strut. In 1984, when the Minis went from 10” wheels to 12”, they were fitted with the longer strut and the van damper. That means that all of our rear dampers will be suitable for your Moke.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I tried fitting standard mini shocks to the back of an English Moke once. They weren’t long enough and there was some awful sounding banging and clattering from them.
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

My Moke, which has the longer rear trailing arms for 13" wheels, is fitted with a Moulton Smootha-Ride suspension kit from Mini Spares. When I ordered it, they offered it with a few different options of shock absorber. For the 13" wheel Moke they recommended the Sports Pack Mini version, which has been fine. So maybe see whether the rear shock absorbers are different on Sports Packs?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Not cheap but they're for a van....
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search
Dean
Tim

Post by Tim »

Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”