FEBRUARY CALENDAR PICTURE

Discussions relating to pre-production prototype Mokes.
Steve

Re: FEBRUARY CALENDAR PICTURE

Post by Steve »

Outstanding! ... Ya just gotta love the British Pathe style of photography.
Steve

Things go better with a Moke
59Prototype

Post by 59Prototype »

I first spotted this on the internet a few years back and it's still interesting to look at. As well as Sir Alec Issigonis featuring in it, have you spotted W.J (Jack) Daniels driving? As you will see the film was released by Pathe on 14th January 1963. It must have been filmed not long before as it was a Pathe new item. It was filmed on the lawns of Longbridge. There is also a still photo that was published around the same time of Norman Wisdom driving the Twini in the snow. Correspondence with Norman some years back revealed that it was his secretary who was his passenger and that he was appearing in pantomime in Birmingham at the time. No doubt it was a bit of two way publicity in inviting Norman across to Longbridge to drive the Moke. He promoted his pantomime and BMC had a famous comedian at the wheel of their first Twini Moke.

What I also know is that sadly this first Twini Moke was destroyed by the experimental workshop team in December 1963.

One last point. Do you all mind looking at the piece of film again? Can anyone identify the steering wheel fitted to the Twini? All the prototypes had the same steering wheel but I have never been able to work out what it was. Was it from some other vehicle? Was it special cast for use on the prototype Mokes? Whatever, it was certainly in plain metal. It had no plastic coating as of the Mini steering wheel we all know. Apparently without a coating it was terrible to hold when the weather was really cold, as it must have been in the Longbridge snow. You will also note that it doesn't have a horn push in the centre. That's why on the prototypes there was a push button on the instrument panel to sound the horn.

Something else that might interest you about the prototype steering wheel. It's quite common knowledge that the Moke had four flat wings (mudguards) so that they could easily be stacked for transportation. There was only one small problem! With the windscreen removed the belly of the upper Moke would foul the steering wheel of the lower one as it was lowered into position. How did they get round this? They made the steering wheels half size! i.e. they removed the section above the centre spoke. Good idea you might think. Well, yes and no. With only half a steering wheel I was told that it was very difficult to drive. The answer? They reverted to the original full sized wheel and simply dropped the steering column when the Mokes were readied for stacking!

So there you are bits of info to whet your appetite!

Finally, any answers to my question about the steering wheel in the Pathe film? If anyone knows what it's from or better still if they have one could you let me know. Many thanks.

Graham Robinson
Bournemouth
14 BT 18

P.S. The photo of the rough looking prototype Moke that features in the latest edition of the club mag is actually my Moke prior to restoration when purchased by me in c .1984.
gpmini

Post by gpmini »

Hi everyone

I recently acquired what I believe to be one of the early South Africa prototype Mokes. It is in a sad state, but seems to have the original engine and chassis number.

The car looks just like the white one in this thread. If you have any pics or information on the SA prototyes please email me on gpmini(at)gmail.com - it will really help me in my restoration.

Thanks,

Leon

pics here

http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 283#p29283
Tim

Post by Tim »

Fantastic, that's another one of them for sure.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
gpmini

Post by gpmini »

I've not yet been able to trace the white one - if anyone here has contact details of the new owner please email or pm me. I have gone to look at Number4, and even though it has a different front, I believe it also to be genuine as it has a chassis number a few numbers ahead of mine, and I have been told that it was just a few numbers after the white one.

And I was told this week of another one being restored. Unfortunately the owner is abroad for the next 6 weeks so I can't have a look at that one yet. I believe it even has the hooks for where the parachute was tied to it. It seems they lead a tough early live as they were dropped out of planes and generally abused by the army to see it they were fit for purpose.

And when I asked Ralph Clarke of his memories of the early prototypes at the Blackheath factory he said that one remained in the workshop and was a used and abused by the staff as a donkey to carry things around the workshop. It was (affectionately I guesss :D ) called Smoke! He said they were pretty rough as the panels were hand beaten in the workshop - so one should be careful not to over-restore them I guess.
gpmini

Post by gpmini »

I will need the following items for my restoration - please could you let me know where they can be readily found:

1. front windscreen (can I have these cut locally, as the glass is flat?)
2. wiper motor
3. petrol tank for a swb moke

Thanks!

Return to “Prototypes”