INFO NEEDED

Discussions relating to pre-production prototype Mokes.
GREYHARE

INFO NEEDED

Post by GREYHARE »

I am restoring my pre production Moke and am looking for any information I can find about it. The serial number is SPL 528 AM. Based on a date stamp on the steering rack of 3/62 I surmise that it was built sometime in mid 1962. It is left hand drive so it obviously was intended for export, probably to the USA where I found it in California about 1990. It has the buckboard seats and looks identical to the car pictured in "Mini Moke" published by Brooklands Books (either edition) in the lower left corner of page 8. It is obviously not one of the two Mokes sent for evaluation by the us army as they had the later seats and the full panier sides. Mine has the open sides.

Can anyone point me to documents or people that might pin point the build date and/or who it was originally intended for? Who any intermediate owners might be? Was it originally issued a plate number and what was it? Does anyone have any pictures of it here in the US? Any other info or comments?

I have been in contact with Graham Robinson in Bournemouth, UK. He owns one of the six original prototypes and has been quite helpful. He mentioned a logboog at Longbridge where all the Special Projects (SPL) were listed but I gather from his comments that it was lost or destroyed when Longbridge was closed. Could it be possible it still exists or there is someone still alive who remembers what happened there so long ago?

My Moke is completely disassembled at the moment. The metal rot has all been repaired and the body is in primer, waiting for paint. Meanwhile I am slowly working on the subframes. I hope to have it back together later this year.

I tried to put a picture of it above but I don't think it worked. Oh well, something more to learn.

Nick Becker
Walnut Creek, California, USA
Steve

Re: INFO NEEDED

Post by Steve »

Hi Nick, I can't help you with any direct information .. however, maybe a letter to the club magazine may generate some more information as I'm sure not all club members use this forum/have internet access .. (there are still some long standing/knowledgeable folk around)

Magazine editor: roy.scott (at) mokeclub.org
English register: mark.peacock (at) mokeclub.org
Steve

Things go better with a Moke
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

I also suggest you talk to Mark Vellenoweth who has had a lot of dealings with BMIHT. He isn't on e-mail so I'll PM you his phone number (but please remember the time difference).
Dean
GREYHARE

Post by GREYHARE »

Thanks for the tips so far. I'll follow up on both. Dean, I got the PM.

Nick

Return to “Prototypes”