Fuel tank guage

Doug G
MMC Member

Fuel tank guage

Post by Doug G »

I thought that it was getting great milage - just sipping the gasoline (petrol).

Well the guage works . . . in that when you turn on the ignation the guage needle slowly goes from E all the way over to F.

Unfortunately that does not accurately represent the actual amount of fuel. Not by a long shot.

I looked into the fuel tank. It has the big cover. There was about 2 inches of fuel in the bottom. Not a problem in regarding running out of fuel.

The float appears to be behind a protective(?) panel in the tank.

I wonder if the float (if it has one)for the guage is stuck at the top of the tank.

However does anyone know what I should be looking at (first) in regard to correcting the reading?
Having a moking good time!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Doug, there's any number of things that can go wrong with the gauge, but its useful to have a bit of understanding of how it works. The fuel gauge is a "resistance instrument". Inside the tank the float unit is a potentiometer, as the float rises and falls the resistance changes. The gauge has a tiny little heating element and a bimetal strip, which bends as it heats up and pushes the needle toward full. As the fuel level falls, the resistance of the float unit increases, and the voltage getting to the gauge drops. The little heating element cools and the bimetal strip relaxes pulling the needle towards empty.

Also in the system is a voltage regulator, which is an important little part that trys to ensure that the instruments get 10v not the variable 11-14v that the cars wiring normally carries.

Basically the instrument is a voltmeter. So anything that varies the voltage to it will make it change. A dud float (that sinks, has a bent wire or has a problem with the potentiometer) dodgy wiring between the float and the instrument, a dud instrument or a dud voltage regulator can all effect it. Also its possible to fit the float into the tank slightly rotated, rather than straight up and down.

Add to that the fact that they weren't ever very well calibrated to begin with and you stop being surprised when they don't work.

The float sensor can be removed by dropping the tank out and undoing the bayonet fitting that locks it in, on the front end of the tank. You can then use a multimeter t check its resistance across the range. Unfortunately I don't know what its meant to be.

For many years now I have carried an additional 5L reserve of fuel in the side pannier. I've used it many times.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Tim wrote:For many years now I have carried an additional 5L reserve of fuel in the side pannier. I've used it many times.

Tim
Good idea.
brokenmoke

Post by brokenmoke »

I hope this helps.
Do you Moke after sex?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If you need a new 10volt regulator I make an electronic one that replaces the mechanical vibrating original that fatigues after 25 or so years. Very stable output.
David L
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

10 volt? Shouldn't that be 12 volt ? :o
Tim

Post by Tim »

Mokes only nominally run at 12V, in use its somewhere between 11-14.5V. Thats not much good for instruments that work off voltage so it has to be regulated. In the old days all they could do was regulate it downwards, the electronics weren't good enough to regulate voltage upwards. The old Smiths 10V regulators are very clever but pretty terrible at regulating, all they do is cut in and out, outputting either 0 or 12(ish) volts, but averaging out to 10V.
Wombat's modern electronic regulators do give a constant 10V output but, it doesn't really matter because the old bi-metal instruments are so slow to react that you can't really see the on/off effect.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I can't see what your problem is Doug ! If the gauge doesn't work, like you say - just look in the filler cap. If you run out of fuel,A. just walk home - it's sunny, or B. retire to the beach bar and await rescue :D
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm hopeless at running out of fuel, even with a mostly functional fuel gauge. I have a little rectangular 5L plastic fuel can that fits perfectly in the side pannier. It gets a fair bit of use, but then its cold here for most of the year and we don't have beach bars to shelter in.

Tim
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I can't see what your problem is Doug ! If the gauge doesn't work, like you say - just look in the filler cap. If you run out of fuel,A. just walk home - it's sunny, or B. retire to the beach bar and await rescue :D
Have not run out of fuel but have had the engine overheat and the clutch overheat/slip/fail so I did what you advised and retired to the beach bar to allow engine to cool and arrange a tow.
SWMBO refused to drive her car and tow the Moke. Had to get a friend to drive it. 8)
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Drive what ? Her car ? :D
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Drive what ? Her car ? :D
Of course her car. Couldn't trust him to drive (steer) my moke, now could I?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

True
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:True
Absolutely :lol:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

coincidentally, my fuel gauge will not go over 3/4 even with the tank full to the brim. Its probably had the speedo changed at least once and the gearbox three times. I just live with it :) At least when the gauge says empty I know its time to start looking for a filling station

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”