LCB ??

PJ

Post by PJ »

Hi Dean,

It's an '81 - the only cover on the left is the oval one over the fuel sender, so I guess it's the long tank and no front compatment that you refer to. By the way how many gallons/litres does it hold: the fuel gauge is yet to be sorted and I usually top up every 100-150 miles to avoid embarassment!

The pump is down in the workshop but the box it came in measures 3" x 3" x 3.25": need to allow extra length for unions (about 1" each end, I suppose, if using right-angles - more for straights) and, if I use it, I'll be fitting a small pre-filter. When I get the chance, I'll drop the bottom plate off and look to see if there's space for it but at the moment I have no time to play and I need it on the road.

Reasons I don't like the mechanical pump:
1) it gets too warm: notice how a bike, particularly with a big, hot running iron engine, runs so much better with a tank of cool fuel after refilling.
2) you can't see properly to check for pipe leaks
3) I don't trust any fuel pump that takes its drive through the crankcase wall: I know of some (marine diesel) engines where the pump can still be working well enough for the engine to run but it is also leaking into the crankcase and diluting the oil. I don't know if this can happen with the A series, but until I've looked at a mechanical pump more closely I shall be wary.

Reasons I like electrical pumps:
1) They fill the float bowl before you start cranking the engine over which should give better/quicker starting
2) They have the potential to be used as part of a security immobiliser system

No overwhelming argument in favour of electric pumps, I know, and there are millions of mechanical pumps in use, but I reserve the right to have my own preferences and prejudices!

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Chapiness

Post by Chapiness »

PJ

You'll need regulator such as

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1980 ... _info.html

set on about number two I'd guess. If you bought the Facet kit it should include the pre filter and small rubber mounting blocks. Don't be tempted not to rubber mount it as they don't like vibration
Another positve for the electric pump is you can wire the pump throuh a low oil pressure switch , which will cut the fuel should you loose oil pressure , it may not save your engine but it will minimise the damage.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Thanks, Chapiness

I already have a filterking filter/pressure regulator (good bit of kit, recommended), and have the pre-filter and rubber mounts.

Anyone know the tank capacity (see my post of 02 June)?

PJ
You don't give up Moking when you get old ...... you get old when you give up Moking!
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

PJ wrote: Anyone know the tank capacity (see my post of 02 June)?

PJ
Still trying to find my handbook for the capacity.
Dean
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

6.25gal (28.4 l) - Upto 1979 (English and Australian Mokes. Top fill)
6gal (27 l) Export (1971-73) (Australian rear under floor mounted tank)
8.4gal (38 l) from 1979, (Late Aussie, Portuguese and Cagiva. Side fill).

I found these figures on the net but will check again once I find my handbooks.
There is also an alternative Aussie tank that had the top filler further back on the pannier top. I don't know the capacity of this tank but I believe they were rare.
Dean
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Dean wrote:6.25gal (28.4 l) - Upto 1979 (English and Australian Mokes. Top fill)
6gal (27 l) Export (1971-73) (Australian rear under floor mounted tank)
8.4gal (38 l) from 1979, (Late Aussie, Portuguese and Cagiva. Side fill).
Dean
These appear to be Imp gallons not the smaller American ones. :D
Having a moking good time!
PJ

Post by PJ »

Thanks, Dean, I think I can afford to run a bit further than I have been so far but a £45 fill-up could be a bit of a shock for the 'plastic'!
I'll get a spare can filled and stash it the boot so that I can push the limit a bit on a suitably quiet road.

PJ
NiceMini

Re: LCB ??

Post by NiceMini »

ive got a 74 aussie with a short rod change its nearly ready for paint now but i have the same problems to overcome when it comes to the exhaust, ive got an lcb and a play mini system waiting and fingers crossed im going to be able to come up with s fancy y piece on the lcb and modified rod change mounting, if anyone has done something similar please let me know, when i get it done il take some pics and get them up.
73 Aussie moke home on th'orange :)
79 mini van
94 mini 35 sports pack
69 vw camper

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”