Brake master cylinder

kens1two

Brake master cylinder

Post by kens1two »

I have a problem with my brake master cylinder on my 1985 portugese moke, I tried to get a service kit for it but was told that it was now discontinued and that I would have to use the replacment tandem brake master cylinder stepped bore type.Having fitted it I can still not get any pressure and the peddle only seems to go half way through its travel. I have checked that there are no leaks and am at a loss as to what I should do now, any suggestions would be graeful
Regards Ken

E-mail kens1two@yahoo.co.uk
carrie

Re: Brake master cylinder

Post by carrie »

Hi Ken,

Something you might want to try on this system is to fill the master cylinder with fluid and then open all four bleed nipples and allow them to drip ensuring you keep the master cylinder topped up. Once brake fluid is flowing freely from all four nipples go round the car and close all the nipples again ensuring your fluid level is correct. This done, you should find that you now have a brake pedal which is firm. If this fails to cure your problem you may want to take a look to see if your car has a brake load sensor valve near the rear subframe or a brake pressure balance valve thingy under the bonnet. These both tend to give problems when bleeding and the pistons contained in them can seize. The other way to determine if these may be faulty is if you can get the system vaccum bled most good garages have the equipment to do this. Bleeding difficulties are common to the most of the mini family and you may need to take several attempts to get it right.

Good luck
Phil

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”