Windscreen

moking joe

Windscreen

Post by moking joe »

I need to replace the windscreen on my 81 Aus Moke and, wondered if anyone had the correct
dimensions, incl. corner radi ?

Also, what is the installation sequence, glass in rubber then into metal surround, or rubber into surround then glass, would you use a lubricant, if so whats best ?

Many thanks.

David
Doug G
MMC Member

Re: Windscreen

Post by Doug G »

What do you have in there at present?
Having a moking good time!
moking joe

Post by moking joe »

Fresh air because it smashed yesterday.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Ok, but what are the inserts/linings etc that were/are keeping the pieces in the frame?
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Hi

I have a screen in the loft and can post you a full size paper template of it. I had a new one made for my 1980 moke out of 6mm toughen glass; it cost me about £40.00 from a local glass supplier.

I fitted the rubber into the metal frame then put some washing-up liquid into the rubber and pushed the glass into the frame, it was a two man job.

If you mail me your address. I will post it off to you.

Nick
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've always fitted the rubber to the glass then the whole lot into the frame. Soak the rubber in hot soapy water and use plenty of detergent to lubricate.

Tim
Robin Jones

Post by Robin Jones »

You might want to drill out the rivets holding the lift-the-dot studs in place. Re-drill into the rubber once everything is back in place & replace the rivets...
This is Matt Jones Son of Robin.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nick Rouault wrote:Hi I have a screen in the loft and can post you a full size paper template of it. I had a new one made for my 1980 moke out of 6mm toughen glass; it cost me about £40.00 from a local glass supplier.

Isn't better and/or safer to have a laminated glass windscreen?

Toughened glass usually shatters into small fragments instead of sharp shards when broken, making it less likely to cause severe injury and deep lacerations.

While laminated glass is a type of safety glass that holds together when shattered. It is held in place by an interlayer, like polyvinyl butyral (PVB), between its layers of glass. The interlayer keeps the layers of glass bonded even when broken, and its high strength prevents the glass from breaking up into large sharp pieces. This produces a characteristic "spider web" cracking pattern when the impact is not enough to completely pierce the glass.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

But does the glass need to be E marked in this nanny-state that we have nowadays ?
Come on summer
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

Many years ago, I got the following dimensions from then Club Chairman, Ian Hodgson. I think they are for an English Moke and possibly others. Is there a difference in size between models?

Windscreen dims:

Width: 44 _ 5/16" Forty Four and Five Sixteenth, inches (1125mm)

Height: 18" (457mm)

Radius: 2" (50.8mm)

Dean
moking joe

Post by moking joe »

Thanks for the replies guys, John at M PARTS has kindly offered to send me a paper template, and I have located a local vehicle glass co. who can cut one out to suit.
One last question, for some reason the frame on mine is slightly distorted across the top ( previous owners ) and I assume there is no top 'arc' to the screen and, that the screen is a simple rectangle
with 2 radius corners.

Many thanks

David
Tim

Post by Tim »

dkw wrote: I assume there is no top 'arc' to the screen and, that the screen is a simple rectangle
with 2 radius corners.
Yep, also check that the sides are straight. They often get bent, especially on the passenger side, by people using the windscreen frame as a hand-hold when they clamber out.

Tim

Return to “Bodyshell”