Instrument panel - newbie answer

tuscan

Instrument panel - newbie answer

Post by tuscan »

:D Hi , i'm a new moke owner and i don't have :cry: the owner hand book, so i don't know in the speedometer Smiths how many indicators are in function! In my moke are goin' only high beam and ignition the other are off. Is it normal? I suppose that the orange L - R would be the turn indicators or not?
Regards.
Tuscan
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

The orange L-R lamps were for the direction indicators on Australian Mokes but we need a Portuguese Moke owner to confirm if they continued this on later models (chip in guys!).
On English Mokes (and most if not all English Minis), the right orange lamp was for oil pressure. The left lamp did not feature at all after the 60's when it was used for oil filter indication (blocked filter?).
Dean.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The green light at the top of the speedo is the indicator light. red one is ignition warning light and orange is, as Dean says, the oil pressure warning .

I think :roll:
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

But is it that config on a Portuguese Moke? (Which Tuscan has).
Dean.
tuscan

Post by tuscan »

:D Thanks for all, but how can i open the instrument panel for controlling if a connection cable is disconnected or the direction lamp is broken?
Have i to discrew the 4 screws on the top and the bottom of the instrument panel?
Regards.
Tuscan
p.s: :roll: :cry: i dont' have yet the workshop manual!
tuscan

Post by tuscan »

:roll: :D :wink: Yes it's portuguese and :oops: :cry: i have bought it without owner's handbook so i don't have the electrical diagram and instruments functions! However i think that it's true what Nigel(no top)Sykes said, 'cause when i start the ignition and the right orange lamp are on and when the engine is on they go off!

:wink: Tuscan
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Dean first - The instrument (speedo) would,i suspect, be the same as a standard Mini one of the era I can't see BL spending more than they had to on any model in their sparkling range.
Now Tuscan - if it's the same as the Aussie, which it probably will be, (see answer above) There is a small hole at either side of the instrument panel through which you are expected to push a cross point screwdriver, which will (possibly) unfasten the two locating screws. The speedo can then be removed.

Don't ask me how you are supposed to get it back though :x
tuscan

Post by tuscan »

:roll: So Nigel do you exclude the possibility of bulbes inspection of Smiths Instrument panel from the moke compart engine?
I saw the holes ma if i insert the screwdiver i don't touch anything, maybe have i to unistall instrument panel totally?
Regards.
Tuscan :wink:
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

My Moke is an Australian one. The bulkhead is solid behind the instrument panel. As for inspecting bulbs - dont forget the Moke is a BMC vehicle origionally so ease of maintenance is way down the list .

I took my instrunt panel apart during restoration and it was connected to the parcel shelves, heater and wiper motor housing ---- All very entertaining it was :)
tuscan

Post by tuscan »

:shock: :D I've resolved the problem: the turn lamp wasn't connected :shock: :shock: , maybe in the portuguese moke is usual or it was manifacturing error :lol: :wink: !
However i have made a connection with the turn cables and now in the Smiths speedo the turn lamp flash on :D :wink: :lol: !!!
:roll: 8) :? I've had to dismantle the instrument panel too :wink: !
:wink: Tuscan
2xmoke

Re: Instrument panel - newbie answer

Post by 2xmoke »

On my speedo the 2 orange lights are for indicators, the top light (green) is for ignition and the red (bottom right) light is oil pressure and bottom left is main beam.

Return to “Electrical”