Reversing light for 1980 Moke

Jersey Moke

Reversing light for 1980 Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Can anyone tell me what type of fitting the reversing lamp is on a 1980 Aussie Moke ? I am looking to fit one on mine but, can't find one anywhere.

Thanks

Nick
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Reversing light for 1980 Moke

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I had a V reg Moke and the reversing lights were the indicators. When you put it in reverse both rear indicator lights lit up to provide (sort of) illumination
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:I had a V reg Moke and the reversing lights were the indicators. When you put it in reverse both rear indicator lights lit up to provide (sort of) illumination
Yes, that's what they had, but it was a little more tricky than might first meet the eye ;) They had a double filament bulb, with both filaments rated 21 Watts each. One was used for turn signal and the other for the reversing lamp.

If for some reason you're stuck having to use single filament bulbs, you can achieve the same effect by using 2 diodes in each assembly.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

That will really confuse the natives if I do that...

Is there another style of lamp and housing that I could use with a white light. Also would we have a wiring issue doing it this way?
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

What about using a Portuguese reversing light?
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Available from M Parts item BHM9504 £18
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

There is now a huge range of white LED lights suitable for cars. Many are quite small, so easy to conceal. You wouldn't have to mount them on the rear of the body, they could be underneath.

How about a pair of these, mounted through the unused hydrolastic valve holes in the subframe?

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Tim,
These look good, do they throw out much light? Also where can you get them from?
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Wally, I really have no idea how much light they produce. My experience with LED lights (through my work developing deep sea cameras) is that the light from single LEDs tends to be lovely and bright but only in a very narrow beam, they usually work much more like a spotlight than a flood light - and the cheaper they are the more 'spotty' they are. We found that the only way to find out is to buy them and test them.

Those particular ones are just an example I found after a very quick ebay search using the terms "LED Reverse Light". You could also try "LED eagle eye". I suspect they would be quite spotty, but at around 6 pounds for a pair (including postage) it doesn't cost much to give them a try. There are heaps of other options, including long thin strip and circular disc ones, which have multiple LEDs in them. I'd expect them to give a much more even spread of light, but they aren't as subtle to conceal.

One thing I tried previously was fitting white LED globe replacements to my Moke. They gave a much brighter light but the intense white LEDs tended to wash out the colour of the lense, so that the indicators were light yellow rather than amber - but the reverse lights were a lot better. I started a project to make my own LED inserts to fit inside the original light fitting and replace the globe holders. I planned to use a mix of amber LEDs for the indicators and white LEDs for the reverse lights. I think it would work quite well - but I have too many projects and too little time.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.

Return to “Electrical”