Four Wheel Drive Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
spider
MMC Member

Re: Four Wheel Drive Moke

Post by spider »

Ha, just picked up on this thread!

4XMOKE, I like the way you think. I'm watching on in interest to see how you go with this one.

I think to replicate the Leyland rear set up would be a bit of work and it was done the way that it is as something that would be cost effective for them to do in that factory, so some compromises in there for sure, the biggest one being that the rear diff assy is basically bolted straight to the body and is subject to a lot of twisting and longitudinal action in use. Fitting a brace back to the subframe would be a sensible move I'd suggest. But none the less, the concept of that subframe could be utilised (and that's pretty much how I'll be doing mine).

The front end trumpets and rubber cones are angle inwards to give clearance from the arms, not really clear form the photos that Tim has kindly posted up.

I wish you luck and every success with this one. If you need someone to bounce some ideas off, speak to Tim :D but I'd equally be a willing listener ;)
swemoke wrote:
Tim wrote:Here they are, 'borrowed' from Swemoke's blog, I wish I knew where he 'borrowed' them from originally. I do remember seeing them in an old book or magazine.
Tim pictures is "borrowed" from the book Mini Moke Ultimate Portfolio pages 68 and 69 8)

//Thomas
Yeah, but I forward the original magazine article back in the late 80's for which that article is re-printed from ;) (I even got a mention in the first & second edition ;)
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Spider, have you been asleep in your web ?
Thanks for joining in, you've given me one important snippet there, the trumpets angled in to provide clearance of the donut against the trailing arms. I had considered doing this, but thought that Leyland Aus must have found a better way. Obviously not!
I've got a couple of scrap subframes to play about with before I commit to a plan and make it for real. The diff will be subframe mounted, in a cradle similar to that that held it in the Ant.
I still have it in mind to mount everything on a plane that won't lift the Moke body and end up looking like a Suzuki SJ hybrid, this is intended to be along the lines of a "factory could have been".
I have a friend that took some photos of the Darwin 4x4 back in '95, if he can ever find them, it should produce some good pointers! Come on RH, get in that attic and sort!!!
My workshop has nearly been changed around to provide dedicated Moke working space, just got to complete a project to accommodate an Ant registry for the Moke club then it's onwards with the Moke.
Stay tuned, there will be loads of pics in due course.
Any progress with your 4WD project?
My other car is a Moke......
My other Moke is an Ant....
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hey 4X, sounds awfully like you've been reading my mind. My own criteria is very similar to yours. I considered and sketched up a whole raft of rear suspension set ups, some were awesome (even if I do say so myself) but all required body modification that took away valuable cargo space. All would have changed the way the Moke handled too, which I wasn't keen on as the Trailing Arms are not only simplicity in motion, give a LOT of travel for the space they take up, but very compact and don't intrude in to the rear bodywork - so why re-invent the wheel in that dept?

I haven't progressed with anything practical on my own 4WD Moke, still finishing some of the design. The one that I repaired (Quadra) got up and running (after a full restoration) a few months ago. I haven't seen / driven /tested it yet as a family member had some pretty serious medical issues that needed pronto attention so as a family, they are only just now getting back on their feet.

I've also been hampered a bit in getting some progress with my own from the pace of these damn outback trips that I've been doing the past couple years! Get back from one with what seems to be barely enough time to get ready and depart for the next!
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Spider, we're a bit short of outback areas up here, so not much distraction from that point. The average off road session only lasts half an hour if you string it out, longer if you head off into Wales, but then you confront RUTS on most of the narrow tracks, not the Mokes' best friend as I'm sure you're more than aware!
Indeed the trailing arm is a simple format for the rear end, one of my designs was to use Ant front arms (longer, heavier versions of mini arms) at the rear along with longitudinal torsion bars. This may have worked quite well if I'd been using the Ant front suspension at the front too, I'd have equal movement both ends, and, more importantly, the prospect of full or partial four wheel steering, which would also ease strain on the transmission from wind up. But, before you know it, you've headed off down the ultimate off roader route to end up with a vehicle that behaves nothing like a Moke. No point in doing that, could build that from just about any 4x4 base vehicle. No, if it's going into a Moke body, it has to behave as a Moke and be fully recognisable as a Moke, all the more tricky to get right really. The mini was certainly a compact package and adding tricks into that package without making them obvious is a tall order!
I'm on for a hard push with this come the new year, it would be great to be able to take the basic layout in the rough to IMM2014/Moke50 but I fear seven months just won't be sufficient to get it on four wheels to show anything at all, so no promises made that can't be kept.
Still looking for at least five disc brake Sunraysias, although I bought five with the Moke, I sold them when I thought I was going to use the Ant hubs. I so regret that....
Good luck with the off road adventures, we simply don't have a large enough country to allow such epic feats of Mokemanship, nor do we have sufficient supply of Mokes, or nutters!
Cheers
Roger
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Finally, with only a few days to go before IMM 2014 my Moke now sits on it's turn over jig ready for work to start on it once the IMM is over.
So my Moke WILL be at the IMM and WILL make it's first public appearance since it was imported in.......... 1996 !!! You could say I got held up a bit with progress!
Roger G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Very nice Rotisserie there 4X, nice touch with the angle drive gearbox on the front of it. Non-reversing Worm Drive I'm guessing?

Looks a very nice clean straight shell. Looking forward to your progress after IMM.

I actually made some small progress towards mine last week, nothing worth speaking of just yet though.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Spider,
Thanks for the interest.
You know me all too well now! Yes indeed, 40:1 non reversing worm drive box. Not yet fitted the torque arm or handle to index it, or the brackets to fix the Moke!
Just couldn't resist a pic as I'd actually done something with it at last! Poor thing was like a pit pony on the surface, it couldn't understand the bright light of day !!

Is your progress planning, purchasing, or metallic ? Either way, where's the start of your thread ?!!! Waiting patiently......

Roger G
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

As promised think im up to date on this Roger now.

steve.
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Steve,
your face was a picture with eyes like saucers when the concept finally dawned that the parts on show were going into the Moke and not just half an Ant on show with a Moke body.
So, now you're up to speed on the project, you too can be bored to death with my ramblings!
Unfortunately, you are now 127th in the queue for a test drive. Please hold.....

Roger-the-misunderstood
Daniel
MMC Member

Post by Daniel »

Roger, that's a very interesting project and even more when seeing all the parts in reality.
Thanks for all the explanations. I will follow the progress.

Daniel
The Moke model car overview: http://www.mokemodels.com
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

I knew I'd got more pics stashed somewhere;

A long time ago, far far away, in a land known as Brent Knoll.......

A Moke was nearing the end of a long exhausting journey.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bodge

Post by Bodge »

Ahhhhhh. Happy memories. I think I can spot Tim Nuttall's Ute tray top on the back too. I know he sold that but i wonder where it is now.

Was that an Audi 100 Avant you had then? I can't remember if that was before or after the Austin Ambassador?

Roger
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Rog,
Indeed that is Tim's tray top, I believe Paul Upton has it now, I think he was on for selling it.

That was the Audi Coupe, the White 100 Quattro Turbo Avant came after the Blue Quattro Coupe, wish I hadn't sold any of them!
Mind you, I wish I hadn't sold the Ambarrassment, I could use something like that for ballistics tests!!!

I think we ought to re-establish the sales days, I think you hosted the first one, from there on they were at Ian's. Would certainly be one to consider for the calendar...

Roger G
1967moke

Post by 1967moke »

This would make a great serial feature for the Club magazine. We need more technical articles.

How about sharing your project this way?

Roy - Ed
4XMOKE

Post by 4XMOKE »

Roy,
Thanks for your interest in this project.
I know some people find things like this to be of interest, some don't....
When completed (no specified time frame here!) I shall certainly write a condensed article for the news letter, but to take my ramblings on here and reproduce them in the news letter could end up with a flood of complaints to the editor!!!
I'm by no means an author, I'm having enough trouble with getting the Ant History down on paper, but by recording this project in dribs and drabs on here at least I'll have something to go back over come the time to write the job up properly.
That said, I could always write an introduction to the project, how I came by the parts, what the plan is, potential pitfalls etc...
What thinketh you?

Roger G

Return to “Project "M"”