Moons Moke back on the road??

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
moons moke

Moons Moke back on the road??

Post by moons moke »

In September I have bought probably an Moons Moke. This is an metro based kitcar. The kitcar is inspired by de Mini Moke.
There are made 4 Moons Moke by G.L. Enterprise stated in Birmingham, in 1992. The body's are made by George Davis, GB Restaurations, stated in Hawkesley Mill later in Bromsgrove Birmingham. George Davis build also kitcars with the same body, called Roamer and Winchester. George build the Roamer from 1992 to 1996.
This info I get from :
• Article of GB Restorations, Kitcars international Jan 1993
• Article of relocating GB Restorations, Kitcars international Apil 1993
• Article of A Roamer therapy Kitcars international Dec. 1995
• Article Moons Moke and Roamer, kitcarbook "A-Z of Kit Cars

I tried to register (import) the car in the Netherlands, I Failed.
On the V5c the car is still : Austin Metro City.
To register I have to prove that the car has drove in England as kitcar for many years.
The car is MOT tested on July 2014. I have the MOT Test Certificate and the bill. But this is not enough.
I have contacted the DVLA a several times but they can't help me.
So the only way to prove that the car has drove in England is a document wrote by a club. This document should declare that my car drove in England for a long time. So I am looking for a club which know my car and wants to declare that.
Or when I get some Bills from the building of the car it can also be a prove. But a can't find contact data from the builder.

Any information is welcome

for photo of model see :
[http://maximummini.blogspot.nl/2011/03/ ... ive-9.html]
Weske
MMC Member

Re: Moons Moke back on the road??

Post by Weske »

here are the photos

grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi. The registration number was issued in Warwickshire in 1999. I had a similar number on one of my Alhambra's, bought from my local Seat dealer in Kenilworth Warwickshire. The person you bought the car off, can apply to DVLA for the history of the vehicle, then you can contact previous owners, and this should help you trace a build date.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

How do you guys know or get hold of this information?
Having a moking good time!
moons moke

Post by moons moke »

On the maximummini.blogspot.nl are mention a few magazines with articles off the roamer.
I have bought these magazines. And I have look up a few kitcar books. look for the names of the articles and names of magazines above.
Also I have some old telephone numbers of GB restorations but they don't work.

The Austin Metro which is use for building the car is register in 1983.
I think my car (on the photo's which post by Weske) should be build in the early nineties.

I have send an email to the previous owner. I don't have receive a answer with information I can use. But maybe he can find some information for me.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi,
The old telephone numbers may not work due to the area codes being changed over the last few years. if you pm me the numbers I can check the codes for you.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

As it is a 'metro' based kit car try their owners club, they may be able to help.

If you google 'moons moke' you can click on

metroownersclub.org • View topic - Roamer/Moons Moke

They may have more information or be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
moons moke

Post by moons moke »

I have already contact de Metro Owners Club.
they never heard about the Roamer or Moons Moke until I contact them.
They can't help me further.

Thanks Marco
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Marco,
Have you tried getting the cars MOT history from the DVLA site? I tried but you need the details from the last MOT which I think you have.
Try it on:_
http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp

I tried it for my Moke and it gives all the details from passed mot's including test centre phone numbers, and vehicle mileage so that should prove its use on English roads.

Good luck

Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

I did a vehicle check on the DVLA site http://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk and entered the vehicle as Austin. It is found with export marker set to yes. Mot expires 18th June 2015. Hey, at least the colour is correct :lol:

You can get MOT history for a car from 2005 onhttp://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle as long as you have the vehicle V5C (registration document) - which I presume the seller gave you when you bought the car Marco? It shows that he declared it exported, so he must have had the V5C in the first place. It would at least state that the car has been on British roads since 2005.... but as what?

Confessing that I have a little more knowledge of clog land than 'normal' I know Dutch authorities can be rather anal about registering 'weird' cars unlike over here in blighty where we can chop, change and more or less do as we like quite easily (first hand experience included). It looks as though DVLA believe this car to be a simple 998cc red Metro... and that's fine over here... I guess, until you take out a bus shelter full of pensioners :shock:

In Clog land, they simply just don't let you get that far...... Does the V5C state 'kit Car'?
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
moons moke

Post by moons moke »

Thank you for your response.

I have already checked the mot history, but I get only the last one of June 2014 these expires on June 2015. So I have contact the DVSA . They say that there is no more information.
No I think that the car has been in a garage for a long time but should be build in the early ninethies.

I have had de V5c but when want to import the car in the Netherlands the RDW didn't give it back.
I only have a copy. When I can prove that the car is build in the nineties, I get the V5c back and I can import the car.
On the V5c state "Austin Metro"
Now I have contact the Company House for information about "GB restorations".
I hope to get a letter this week and get some useful information.

Marco
moons moke

Post by moons moke »

Is there a club who can write a letter that can explain that is normal in the UK to chop, change the car without change de V5c
And will also write in the letter that my car is build in the early nineties by GB restorations. I think that the article's a mentioned in my first post prove that my car should be build by George Davis of GB Restorations.

Marco
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Hi Marco, as mentioned earlier - although it might seem to be easier to 'chop and change' in the UK, it doesn't mean that in the case of any legal issue it would stand in court. On a time line basis, it was easier back then than it is now. The vehicle type approval system is now EEC regulated for exactly the reason you are trying to solve. Basically, if the previous owner of your Moon's Moke tried to do that now, it wouldn't be that easy over here either. On the side of the previous owner, who probably bought the kit and 'did it himself', the car was probably low usage and the law of averages says - it's unlikely to cause a problem, especially if the car has been 'on the road' like this for many years.

I am not an expert on the subject, but basically you would need to get your V5C back, come back to the UK with the car and get a VIA test done to get the vehicle EEC type approved according to the VIA scheme. The document describing the process is in the link below
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... scheme.pdf

pay particular attention to Appendix 2 in the section 'Vehicles manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle'. It is possible that the costs involved may be prohibitive.

GB Restorations appears to have folded in 1996 - so good luck finding anything about them.

Alternatively, keep the car registered at the UK address and insure it it NL. I don't know if it is possible to APK a GB car in NL. In France this is possible. I ran my LR 110 County in France for 5 years on UK plates. The Controle technique was done every 2 years in France and I paid local insurance (bit more expensive) - but hey.... no road tax unlike you have to pay through the nose for in clogland - I knew there was a reason I would never live over there.... again :lol:
JanZ
moons moke

Post by moons moke »

Janz,

How do you know that GD Restorations folted in 1996.
The Company House have not found anything about GB Restorations.

I am going to try to get the V5c back. But i think that is a big problem.

Marco
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Hi Marco,

I can only assume they folded as the last bit of any info I can find on them was from 1996.

Why should getting your V5c back be a problem? Just say you are not going to register at the moment and wish to return the car to UK (whether you do so or not). Or viewed from another perspective, if you didn't have all the documents and bits of info in place when you submitted for registration, why did they retain your V5c?

If it really is a problem, you can request a duplicate from DVLA
JanZ

Return to “Project "M"”