spider
MMC Member

Re: Anyone fancy a trip to Tasmania?

Post by spider »

Only just found and looked here,,,,

Bhahahahahahahaha,,,,,,,,
Tim wrote:

Tim

2 hours driving in Tazzy? You'd almost have done a loop!

We all know there's no phone service in Tazzy, Mobile or otherwise. I think I read somewhere it was only last week you guys finally got wireless down there :mrgreen:

Nah, seriously, I did Tazzy about 17 and again 15 years ago, I was really bowled over by the place, there are only good bits, better bits and even better again bits. One of the most prestine places I've been, highly recommended.

Thanks for posting up Tim.
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Tim

Post by Tim »

You should have come over spider.

Yesterday we toured down to the convict settlement at Port Arthur. Most of the group went into the historic site, but a few of us (all locals) split off. The weather on the trip down was utterly appalling. The wind was screaming, freezing cold and raining heavily. At one stage there was a fierce crosswind which blew my battery cover right off, and into the back seat.I only took a couple of pictures on the way. Here's one taken through the phone mounted on the windscreen.

After Port Arthur we three locals went down to a spot called Remarkable Cave. You can see the wild weather from the sea in the background.

After that we did a loop back to find a pub, talked Mokes and refuelled our tummies. I had to head back to town, but the weather had improved so I could drop the top and drive fast, so that was fun. There was still a very nasty crosswind, though. I stopped at a lookout and took a photo to prove I had the roof off.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Today was the day of the big show. Hobart has a famous market, held at Salamanca Place every saturday morning. Even the locals love it, so its a major event for visitors. Parking is a real hassle though, so our problem was where to park everyone together, near the market. Luckily our state Parliament House came to the rescue. They allow groups to use the lawns for special events, like car shows and are next to the Market.

In all we had exactly 50 Mokes (and a Mini) come for the show, which was a great success. The weather finally came good and there was plenty for people to do. Some went shopping, others spent the morning with their head under the bonnet. It was a great spot because there were heaps of 'the public' wandering through and lots stopped to chat. I reckon hundreds of tourists took photos.

After the market we took a trip to the top of Mt Wellington, which is the mountain that stands behind Hobart. I posted a picture of it earlier. Its about 1200M high, so gives a pretty good view from the top. Its a pretty good climb to get up there, so a couple with dodgy cooling systems had a bit of trouble. The could ceiling was just above the mountain, but the wind wasn't too fierce and all the snow had melted.

I took my whining children home after that, but the others went on exploring and to visit the car collection of an old couple who lived nearby. Tomorrow there's another day of touring.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I suppose it makes a change from a whining gearbox :lol:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Today we took a cruise down to the channel area, then inland to the Tahune forest airwalk. The route we took was really twisty, steep and narrow, so it was great fun. I tried to snap a few shots while driving but discovered that I can drive and take photos, but not drive and focus.

The cars looked good parked up amongst the forest

I didn't take any pictures of the airwalk itself. I'm not great with heights and for some reason I wasn't thinking about snapping pictures. The last section of the airwalk is cantilevered out over the forest at the edge of the river.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It's good to see that you've all got a 5 page write-up in the latest copy of MiniWorld :D
Come on summer

Return to “Moking Downunder - March 4th-9th”