Hi from Oz

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
mowog

Hi from Oz

Post by mowog »

Hi From Oz

I am not new to the Moke world but I have been away from it for a while. I have recently brought a 6/1980 1275 Moke.

The plan is for a full restoration project I am not doing a factory spec restoration the Moke will be modified. You can follow the progress here ...

https://www.facebook.com/MokeProject
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Hi from Oz

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Welcome to the forum, it seems to be getting very busy with the Australian community on here of late :D
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Giday mowog,

Nice to have another Aussie on board, we gotta show these Pommie guys what Moking really is all about ;)

Nice project, looks like much of it is there.

A good clean,a lick of paint and you'll just about be there :)
Nigel(no top)Sykes wrote:Welcome to the forum, it seems to be getting very busy with the Australian community on here of late :D
Yes, funny about that!
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
mowog

Post by mowog »

Hey Spider

It is a complete car everything is there. The body is in great condition (no rust) except for the nose panel. The paint is stuffed and a full colour change is happening.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You mean you don't fancy the,what would be called up here,council green colour :)
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Funny, it's also Council Green here too!

Great stuff mowog, very lucky find. I know it's a Gal body, but even they can rust. Nothing unusual with the paint, they didn't seem to use the right Prime Etch (or should I say they used none) in the factory - does make for an easy strip!

So, colour change - you can surprise us with that. What other plans do you have for it?

Shorty mentioned this morning that you've been in to Mokes on and off for a while.
mowog

Post by mowog »

Hey Spider

I have been into Mini's and Mokes for a long time. My first car was a Mini K 1100 Panel van.

My last Moke (s) were back in 2006 and I have been looking for the right Moke for a couple of years now. This Moke will be the Moke I have always wanted.

On the Agenda

Coil Spring Suspension I have the parts for this now and adjustable front suspension.
The Engine is in for a bit of treatment and the Gear box as well I am aiming for a bit of horse power
Brakes will get an upgrade both front and rear
All new electrics and Instruments
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Awesome stuff!

Yeah, I've been around Mokes (and Minis) a little while too ;)

You'll have to keep us up-dated with your project.

re: Coil Springs - just be careful with these, none give the travel of the Rubber Cone before you get Coil Binding. They'll be fine if you set the Hilos just under stock height or lower (hope that makes sense).

Options abound for front brakes, however what are you considering on the Rears?

I think my current Moke is close to the (2WD) one that I have wanted, but you never stop tinkering,,,,,,
mowog

Post by mowog »

Spider

Thanks for the coil tip.

I was going to go slightly low on rider for better handling. (looking for wheel alignment spec's) I had a 1275 LS that had a fully adjustable front end that was setup by a rally team in Wagga back in the late 1970's it was awesome for handling after that.

Rear brakes things to consider are from Alloy fined drums to KAD Rear disks and since the KAD brakes are a possibility for the front I may go the rears as well.

This Moke will be used for the odd Club Track day so good brakes are a key need.

It may be a Sin to say it but I am also a Modern MINI fan and I have owned a few of those currently I have a MINI Inspired by Goodwood (104/1000) and an R58 Copper S Coupe.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

In regards to the springs, when you've set your desired ride height, re-fit the spring compressor on the front, while it's still on the ground and compress away, check that you can get to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Bump Stop squashed to check you haven't got coil bind. Bad things can happen if you do.

May as well go for the KAD Rear Brakes, nothing to adjust and lighter then any drum set up.

Ha, the Bimi's - I believe they are a really well thought out and made car, I haven't been in one! so I've no comment, but happy for you that you like yours so much. they are quite popular and hold their value well, so there's a reason for that.

Return to “Project "M"”