65 uk Moke Restoration

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: 65 uk Moke Restoration

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Oh dear, sorry things have not gone to plan, new plan requied!
Hope to see you and the moke next year, I'm of on the Welsh Weekend week tomorrow, so hoping for good weather!
I think we could do with some more piccies!
Cheers Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

It is such a pain trying to add photos, I have spent the last 2 hours trying and still cannot figure this out, , anyway car is moving on, I have rebuilt the gearbocx and engine, and all painted in original green colour, jsut the head to finish.....
:)
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Easy when you know how! :lol:
Progress is looking good, will we see you at some events in 2016?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

hi James,
Pleased to see you at the NEC yesterday, hope you got the photos you were after, if you need any of my engine installation, just let me know.
Hope to see you again in 2016!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi Chris,

Thanks got enough to keep me going!! It was great to meet an chat with you yesterday really helpful , and also to Norman discussing his lovely car, it has some very cool features especially the drinks holders.!!.. I am glad i went up to the show as I needed a good day out ...

look forward to meeting up 2016.... James
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

James,
A seat for you (you'd only need another three then!)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Moke-Sea ... SwEgVWTcW9
Good luck
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Looking good! I have to motivate myself to get out in the garage and get some stuff installed! I think my problem is that I am basically a lazy bast****.
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi Peter, from seeing your work on your 65 moke i think lazy b**** does not apply, just that time is not long enough on this planet!!..ps got any spare original metal seats by any chance??? :D

Any way now that i am finally starting to fit part A to part B a million questions will need help with as i have bags of bits but cannot entirely remenber where they all go back on :(

1. is there a seal between the top of the petrol tank and the pannier top panel , to stop water descending down into the tank box section?
2. Is there any wiring or stuff needs to be installed behind the tank before refit? Should i fit the sender unit before installing the tank as it all is a tight fit.
3. how does the access panel fit under the tank, does it overlap the sill member or slide under it? Does it have any seals fitted to it between the body and the panel?
4. Are there any plastic inserts required for the rear suspension cones where they fit into the trailing arm or is it just metal to metal -with grease - fit?
5. How on earth do you fit the circlip for retaining the rear wheel brake cylinders , i have tried every which way to clip this in place but it jsut looks to small to ever fit :x ....

Answers gratefully received , I want this car out and about in May...L2B being my target.......again :lol:

thanks James
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

j Beeton wrote:Hi Peter, from seeing your work on your 65 moke i think lazy b**** does not apply, just that time is not long enough on this planet!!..ps got any spare original metal seats by any chance??? :D

Any way now that i am finally starting to fit part A to part B a million questions will need help with as i have bags of bits but cannot entirely remenber where they all go back on :(

1. is there a seal between the top of the petrol tank and the pannier top panel , to stop water descending down into the tank box section?
There is no seal.
j Beeton wrote: 2. Is there any wiring or stuff needs to be installed behind the tank before refit? Should i fit the sender unit before installing the tank as it all is a tight fit.
The front to rear wiring loom runs through there, you do need to fit it before fitting the tank.
j Beeton wrote: 3. how does the access panel fit under the tank, does it overlap the sill member or slide under it? Does it have any seals fitted to it between the body and the panel?
On the outside edge, it sit on top of the return, there is (or should be!) welded nuts on the cover, so that you can pass the bolts up and they have something to screw in to - bonus!! The Rest of the cover sits under the floor, the inside edge held in place with Nuts, Bolts and wahsres, leading and trailing edges have bolts, the nuts are welded in the body, but I have to say, I'm yet to see a Moke that has ever had these bolts fitted.
j Beeton wrote: 4. Are there any plastic inserts required for the rear suspension cones where they fit into the trailing arm or is it just metal to metal -with grease - fit?
I think you are referring to the Knuckle Joint that's between the Trumpet and the Trailing Arm? If this is what it is, then yes. I'd actually suggest replacing the whole joint. Use Original Ones, the after market ones are OK, but the rubber dust boot on them are utter rubbish, they will perish before you finish your build. I'd suggest cleaning the drilling in the arm really clean, check that they last knuckle joint hasn't worn through and worn in to the arm, build it up with plastic metal if it has, then grease the outside of the knuckle joint cup before fitting.
j Beeton wrote: 5. How on earth do you fit the circlip for retaining the rear wheel brake cylinders , i have tried every which way to clip this in place but it jsut looks to small to ever fit :x ....
I hear this a bit but I have to say, I've not had trouble doing them. There is a tool available, but I just get 2 of the 3 'ears' in there, then leaver the 3rd one over with a small screw driver.
j Beeton wrote: Answers gratefully received , I want this car out and about in May...L2B being my target.......again :lol:

thanks James
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Odd that.... I'm sure I usually have the clip so it curls outwards towards me then get the single ta in the groove at the top and lever the other two in .
Either way, do a couple of hundred of them and you'll get the knack (and thumbs) :D
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James, Hoping to see you and the Moke at the L2B this year!!!

My Moke has a seal on top of the panel, it's a wrap around rubber section thus:-
3. how does the access panel fit under the tank, does it overlap the sill member or slide under it? Does it have any seals fitted to it between the body and the panel?
My panel is just a flat sheet with the edges turned over and is bolted up from the bottom with no seal between
5. How on earth do you fit the circlip for retaining the rear wheel brake cylinders , i have tried every which way to clip this in place but it jsut looks to small to ever fit :x ....
There is a special tool available to fit these
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... ts_id=3624

hope these help.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
The filler neck seal seems to be difficult to find, the cap is from a series 1 Land Rover so you may find that the seal section is common to the Landy, try at a Landy spares place.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It not a landrover cap wally. Try googling Austin gypsy
Come on summer
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi all , thanks for the replys,- Chris thanks for the photo of the filler neck.....
I will figure out how to seal the tank neck aperture at some time ....
I bought new rear trumpet plastic inserts today and also the rubber boots... I have assembled one side trailing arm but am not convinced about it.. The arm seems to hang down to much and the trumpet can easily separate from the suspension cone and fall out of place . Maybe this is correct as when on the car there will be a shock absorber which will limit travel , but i,m not sure as it does not seem right...

How tight should the subframe mounting bolt be tightened ?, I have done it so that the subframe to body casting is very difficult to turn - as it is pinched between the two rubber bushes..

Anyway the fridge is now beckoning with some tasty bottles of refreshing cold drinks :D

Happy New Year to all.......James
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Wally2 wrote:Hi James, Hoping to see you and the Moke at the L2B this year!!!

My Moke has a seal on top of the panel, it's a wrap around rubber section thus:-

hope these help.
Cheers
Chris
Great idea, but not fitted originally ;)
Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.

Return to “Project "M"”