65 uk Moke Restoration

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
j Beeton

Re: 65 uk Moke Restoration

Post by j Beeton »

Another question, I have original moke manuals and a couple of mini haynes manuals , buj they don't always have the info I need! none i have show twin cylinder drums..

I have fitted up the front drums/shoes and springs, I think I have got them correct but if there is a correct way I would like to know.

I also bought the little springs that were meant to hold the shoes to the cylinder pistons, but how do these fit as there are no holes in the pistons?
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
This might help
The little springs are called 'bee hive springs' but you cannot fit them if there are no holes in the pistons, I had the same problem! They are shown fitted in the fig above.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
did you sort out the tie rods? I tried to put a diagram on but now I'm on windows 10 I couldn't figure out how to, but now I have so here we are!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Just sent you a PM re manual.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Thanks for replying Chris, I fitted the shoes as the drawing you sent, so not bad guessing, and as you say I could not fit the little "beehive" springs because there are no holes in the brake cylinder pistons.
:D I also sorted out the tie rods so all good......
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi all , some photos of recent progress , engine ready and then in place, car rear with wheels on!!

finally the photo shows the gap between the rad and the top bracket, the mini spares bolts are to short to fit ? so is there a special spacer required?

cheers James
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Just checked the relative position of the rad to thermostat housing on my Moke and it looks very similar to yours, however, my top bracket only has a 10 - 15mm set in it, yours looks much larger.
Perhaps a new bracket from Moke Panels might do the job, it looks more like mine.
http://www.mokepanels.com/moke-parts/
Cheers
Chris
PS progress looking good for L2B!
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

James,
Also when putting photos into the post don't get the address from the pics at the bottom on the gallery as these are thumbnails and that's what then goes into the post, you have to click onto the main photo i.e.
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
More tricky to photo with the engine in the car but this is the best I can get!
Hope you can see that mine has a lot less set in it.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Did you get the disc I sent to you?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the photo, and yes your stat to rad plate is much shallower than the one on my car so the bolts from Mini spares would fit with it.

I did get the disc you sent many thanks for sending that , it is very useful !! So I owe you a cold refreshing drink at some time soon:D

More work on car this weekend, all rear lights rewired , with new bullet connectors etc and heat shrink to cover cables. Carb fitted and fuel lines all cleaned up and fitted.

Questions:

Is there a lower engine steady bar on a moke? There was one fitted when I got the car and now cannot figure out how it was fitted :(

My handbrake seems to be different to that shown in the manual in that there is an extra piece fitted between the handbrake and the cables. Are the cables standard mini length or longer?

Also there are 2 x metal plates that fit to the floor where the cable passes through. Do these go beneath or on top and are there only two or shoud there be 2 x plate on top and bottom for both cables? I seem to have 4 in my parts bin and I would not have used them on any other car?? :)

cheers James
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

There was sometimes a lower engine steady fitted in later years, but they are pretty much useless. Far better to fit a top steady at the thermostat end of the engine.
The handbrake cables on non Australian Mokes are, I believe, the same length as estate and van ones.
Come on summer
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Some pics that might help
Bottom steady bar
Handbrake cable
Cable plates
Hope these help.
Details of the handbrake cable are in the parts list on the disc but its not easy to see how they go on the car!
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

thanks Chris, useful photos, I will check out the rad brackets at mini spares this week as yours looks right! The pic of the metal plates where the handbrake cable comes through the floor is helpful , are there only the two metal plates ? as M-parts shows four on their refurb kit? , and spookily i seem to have four as well. are there plates underneath as well as on top of the floor entry hole...
The lower bracket I have is different to yours but the photo again helps......

regards James
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Yes, you should have 4 plates. Two above and two below with the bits of felt stuff to help seal it all up
Come on summer

Return to “Project "M"”