67 Morris Moke

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
j Beeton

Re: 67 Morris Moke

Post by j Beeton »

fab car!! I wish mine was on the road , resto seems to be 1 step forward , 1 back, still aiming for L2B though :)
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

I've not got much done on the Moke lately! Got some correct sized wheel nuts and the hub caps fitted up and that's about it! As there's been some great weather I've had the Moke out and about and made it to a couple of shows too!

Sadly my Austin is taking a lot of my time currently due to some cooling issues, when I've got that sorted I'll get the horn sorted, I've got a push button now.
67 Morris Moke
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

My gear lever gaitor is split, as the Moke is a magic wand gear lever I expected it to be the same as my Mk1. However it seems to be a different one.#

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini- ... ijct1tJLDA - Is this the one to replace it?

My Austin continues to cause me stress, its now in bits!

I only wanted to change the studs on the thermostat housing as one is damaged and ended up like that! Means I can get the pully cleaned up and painted and the correct 4 blade fan fitted. Any advice for changing those studs?

Cheers

Peter
67 Morris Moke
pbraun

Post by pbraun »

Looking good! Hope to have mine out on the road sometime this year!
peter
1965 Mini Moke, English built, on the road again!
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Regards the studs. You can buy a tool to remove them. Very simple idea that grips as you try to turn. Halfords sell em. I have one, handy to have even for that once in a blue moon event.
I'd still soak with some plusgas or similar prior.
Looks good by the way
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
You need the specific gaiter for the Moke
This one is at Moke Panels
http://www.mokepanels.com/moke-parts/
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Wally2 wrote:Hi Peter,
You need the specific gaiter for the Moke
This one is at Moke Panels
http://www.mokepanels.com/moke-parts/
Cheers
Chris
Spot on, thank you Chris!
67 Morris Moke
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Hi

I think that you can buy these from the Moke Club shop ? May be check it out first as they would be cheaper...

Nick
Tim

Post by Tim »

Also available from Australian suppliers as HYK256

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Things have been fairly quiet on the Moke front for a few months, just driving it and enjoying it! The comments, smiles and peoples memories of them are always great to see and hear! She has a big show next Sunday and typically has chosen the last few weeks to have issues! First one was the spare wheel falling off (I didn't even notice as I was having so much fun!!!), luckily I found it. My question is fairly simple, should there be a spacer or something similar between the body and spare wheel?

Should I have anything else other than this to re attach it?

She also decided to overheat massively earlier this week going up a rather steep hill locally! I've been aware the cooling system needed a good flush out, however due to the same task taking forever on my Austin Seven, I put it off for quite a while. I bit the bullet today and all has gone well, I just need some studs for the thermostat (the others weren't looking great) and a gasket for the housing and it can all back together!!

Followed by good clean and we'll be ready for the show!
67 Morris Moke
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

So my attempt to flush the cooling system & change the thermostat didn't have much effect! Having taken her for a run to a local show she wasn't running well at all and boiled over again! However she made it to the show and was very popular, with lots of people coming over to ask about her! Ignore the sign next to us, we were so small we were moved a few times to allow bigger cars into spaces!

After this I decided to have a more in depth strip down to try and get to the bottom of the problem!

Everything came apart reasonably easily and looks in decent condition. The water jacket around cylinder 4 seems to be full of sludge and having taken the drain plug out nothing emptied! Anyone got any ideas for clearing this out? I'm going to get the hose pipe in tomorrow and see if that helps clear it!
67 Morris Moke
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi Peter,
This might be a common problem as my block was totally gunged up completely around No.4 cylinder. As the engine was out and stripped down the guys had to get most of it out with screw drivers etc. before it went for chemical cleaning. this with an aluminium 2 core radiator seems to have done the trick!
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
Dean
MMC Member

Post by Dean »

I used a length of thick copper wire to clear the drain on my engine in situ.
Dean
DidziuojiA

Post by DidziuojiA »

my dream car, very very nice! :)
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Dean wrote:I used a length of thick copper wire to clear the drain on my engine in situ.
Dean
Manged to get a bit of wire! That combined with the pressure washer seems to have got most of it out and the drain plug working again! It was a real horrible black sludge that came out!
Wally2 wrote:Hi Peter,
This might be a common problem as my block was totally gunged up completely around No.4 cylinder. As the engine was out and stripped down the guys had to get most of it out with screw drivers etc. before it went for chemical cleaning. this with an aluminium 2 core radiator seems to have done the trick!
Chris
I imagine that it is quite common! I'm dreading what state my Austin is in (it gets regular use!) and even more worried about my pick up will be in having stood for the last few years!

Hopefully I''ll get some time over the weekend and start to build her back up!

Thanks

Peter
67 Morris Moke

Return to “Project "M"”