Moke Windscreen

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Al Gullett

Moke Windscreen

Post by Al Gullett »

Hi, I am a new member living in Jersey, I have just bought a Moke from the U.K. and our motor traffic office will not approve it for Jersey registration as there are no safety / kite marks on the windscreen, can anyone tell me how easy it is to remove
and replace the sreen, would I be able to get one cut in safety glass from a local supplier of glass ? or should i be looking for an original Moke windscreen ?. It is a 1988 Portuguese Moke. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Al Gullett
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Moke Windscreen

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The windscreen is pretty easy to remove, a bit of a struggle to put back together if you're working alone though. The thing is, if you get a new one cut will it have the kite mark on it? Would you go for laminated instead of toughened?
Come on summer
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi Al. Welcome to the forum. You can get a windscreen, with all the Kite marks etc, from a Fiat Panda. This has a flat screen and is bigger than the Moke screen. You will need a windscreen supplier who can cut one for you. Plus he will need your screen as a pattern.

The last time I fitted a screen to a Moke I used copious amounts of Fairy Liquid on the Rubber seal.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Al Gullett

Re: Moke Windscreen problem now solved

Post by Al Gullett »

Many thanks for your advice, I went to local glass suppliers this morning with the intention of getting a new laminated windscreen, but they told me they could test my windscreen, and if it was laminated glass they could give me a letter to certify
that, and they would also sand blast a safety mark onto the glass, it turned out to be 6.2 laminated glass, and they did all that for £5.75
My Moke now has the Jersey registration of J 310146 which is my date of birth, yes, I am now 70 and at last driving around in the car I wanted to be driving when I was 18. All good things come to those who wait.
Again many thanks.
Al Gullett.
Jersey
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Hi Al,

Welcome to the forum. I am also a Moke owner that lives in Jersey. Is your Moke a black one? My dad told me today that he had seen Moke with English reg earlier this week.

If you need any advice please feel free to PM and we can exchange contact details.

Nick
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Welcome to the forum. Great to learn that it was sorted out for less than £10.00.

Please take some pictures of your Mini Moke, we would all love to see them
Having a moking good time!

Return to “Moke Talk”