Australian remote gearchange linkage and bar

Mokes and related items wanted
janz
MMC Member

Australian remote gearchange linkage and bar

Post by janz »

Hi, am looking for Australian version gearbox to shift box linkage and bar to replace chopped to size bodged Mini one fitted to FUD at present.

Cheers

Jan
Get a life, Get a Moke...
JanZ
spider
MMC Member

Re: Australian remote gearchange linkage and bar

Post by spider »

Hi Jan,

There were two types of Aust Shifters, from ~75 (with the introduction of the Rod Shit) to Oct 79. The bottom rod on these was straight. This is the middle one in the pic below.

Then there was the Nov 79 to Dec 81 type. These had bends in both rods. This is the Top one in the pic below.

All you really need are the rods, I can likely sort you.

Old Mokers never die, they just smell that way.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You've got me wondering now spid, my rod change has chewed up the slots in the ball a bottom(ish) of the gear stick. I've welded in a bodge fashion a saloon stick but that not really satisfactory.
My question is, if there's two types of rods what difference does it make to the position of the change. I've a shell with the gear lever hole in the same position as the magic wand change
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

One other thing.... Does the top change in the picture have the bottom plate on upside down?
Come on summer
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Hi Nigel,

How's it hangin' mate?

The shell with the hole in the same position as the coff coff Magic Guess errr,,,, Wand I mean, would have had the Shifter in the middle of those 3 originally fitted.

The actual Shift Lever for these is a bit hard to come by, but can easily and satisfactorily made from a Mini one, though I'd suggest an earlier one that doesn't have the useless rubber damper in the middle of it. I have made a few from these. I turn up an extension rod, then re-set the bend in it. Apart from the extension piece, to use it, you wouldn't know.

I've also done a few based on the Mini Spares 'Quickshift' not to make them 'faster' but shorten the throw of the shifter to something more sensible. I add 9" (230 mm) to them, reset the bends and while they look 'funny' they are real nice to use.

Yes, that plate on the Shifter at the top of that photo, that actually came up on another forum about 2 days ago! It's on the right way - for this particular shifter - instead of the ramp, they have a spring

These weren't fitted to all of the shifters, only from about May 1980 to September 1981, when they went back to the original type. Go figure.
spider
MMC Member

Post by spider »

Here's one I just built up for the wife's Moke only last week, with the Mini Spares 'Quickshift'

And fitted, they look something like this in Cyclops's Moke

janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

New job means replies come later :shock:

i think I need the 75 to 81 type. This will be for FUD Moke, the 81 bodied 65. The selector is also knackered, but probably due to to the posistion it is mounted. I will also need the plate and 2 diabolos to finalize the installation.

Many thanks to Spider for info so far
JanZ
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

By diabolos do you mean what I call the rubber bobbins? If so the exhaust mounting ones will do the same job won't they?
Come on summer
janz
MMC Member

Post by janz »

Hi All, been quiet on this subject for a while - change in life, style and just about everything but the missus has detuned me somewhat - still want to get FUD changing gear normally. Can anyone supply rods etc for Aussie style remote gear box bits etc? Need selector, rods, plate. bobbins....? Cheers. J
JanZ

Return to “Wanted”