L2B 2017 my trip

j Beeton

L2B 2017 my trip

Post by j Beeton »

Hi all
So I did my first Mini Moke club run yesterday on the L2B!.
I arrived at Crystal Palace around 7.30am having driven across the city from North London so first part of the journey the moke survived! Contacted Chris on arrival and got the secret route in to meet up with club members and I was totally surprised at the big gathering of Mokes! After a chance to have a break and after a run briefing it was time to go and amazingly all was organised for us to go out in the first line of cars so we were out of the park in 15mins.
The run out through Croydon was fine with the odd stop to make sure all cars were present , then on down to Crawley where local knowledge prevailed and a completely different route was used to end up at Pyecross . I think this was the B2034 but whatever it was a really excellent and scenic route. With very little traffic to slow us down :D :D . A quick blast :D down the last section of A23 and then again local knowledge made life easy on arriving in Brighton.
Heading west along A27 and coming down through Hove was simple and easy with a great view of the sea as we came down Grand Drive. Then a simple run along the sea front to the roundabout and entry into Maderia Drive for our display area.
At this point I must congratulate Chris,Sean and others who I can't, remember( age thing)for the amazing herding skills demonstrated , must have been Cowboys in a previous life!! A few impromptu rolling road blocks, multi trips around roundabouts and go go go signals kept us all corralled together -job done! :D .
We had a great display of mokes in the perfect weather so it was a really enjoyable experience. I met some great club members, friends, family et all and the had many enjoyable and funny conversations so totally brilliant day.
I decided to leave a little earlier as I had to face the journey back up to London and across the city -no way was I going to attempt motorways in an 850 cc V8 turbo charged moke...oops sorry dreaming again :D :D . Fortunately another team of intrepid travellers -Ian,and his lovely and charming daughter had to return to Oxford and so we decide to travel up together - safety in numbers and all that!. Again we used the fast track route out of Brighton and within 20 mins of leaving were in our way up the A23.
This proved the most stressful part of the day , as I am convinced that it is all up hill to Gatwick and the moke temp started to rise when thrashing along at 45mph up the all those long inclines!!! Luckily for Ian he did not have temp guage to worry about so was probably safely oblivious of the classic A series habit of overheating at the most inconvenient times! We stopped just south of Croydon for a break before marching on the city which was good As our Mokes had a chance to relax and chill!
Then onwards into London ,parting company around Kennington ,where our journeys took a different route. It was really nice and most reassuring travelling up in such good company , but once near the river the home run (for me) was visible.
Sadly this proved to be a nightmare as traffic was crazy and so it took me nearly two hours to get across town and up through Highgate , Finchley and home -Barnet. By this time I was high as a kite on petrol , diesel fumes , as the air con and sophisticated climate control features of the moke were not functioning πŸ˜€πŸ˜€, so first stop was my local hostelry for a refreshing cold liquid or twoπŸ˜€ After garaging and feeding the moke!..
so in summary , a great day out, great people , and fab weather , what could be better - happy days.....πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„
Wally2
MMC Member

Re: L2B 2017 my trip

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
Looks like a good article for the Moking Mag!! With pictures hopefully!!
Glad you had a great day, it was my first L2B last year another great weekend.
So first one under your belt, what's next?
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Hi Chris, not sure what next, I am totally confident the car is good as gold so will definately appear on another gathering , I will be out at Enfield Pageant on bank holiday Sunday (Ian if you read this and want to come along I can give you a ticket for free entry!!) which is an excellent show that I have attended in various minis, Marcos etc over the last few years . I will of course take the moke as it has now past its initiation test and also it is only 6 miles drive!!!so this year it better not break down!!..

Regards. James
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

Hi James,
You're not joining us in Ireland this weekend then? I set off in the morning to Holyhead then get the ferry Thursday morning to Dublin, then its onward to Westport.
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
j Beeton

Post by j Beeton »

Chris, sadly noπŸ˜€, too many hills between Barnet and Ireland!! Might go on a romp around the fens next as that is all flat!!!
Have a good trip , and if weather continues as forecast it will be fab.....James

Return to β€œLondon to Brighton May 21st”