aussie californian roof, bow bars and rollcage

Mokes and related items wanted
niggey1

aussie californian roof, bow bars and rollcage

Post by niggey1 »

hi i'm after for my 1979 californian a canopy roof with the bow bars and also the roll cage ( for the seat belts) if anyone can help. currently trying to finish it off but missing these bits
many thanks in advance
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: aussie californian roof, bow bars and rollcage

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Does it have a top fill or a side fill tank?
Come on summer
niggey1

Post by niggey1 »

its a top load filler.
Australia seems to be the only place to get them as second hand are as rare as hens teeth
Jersey Moke

Post by Jersey Moke »

Your best bet is Ebay in Aussie or try Mini and Moke World in Australia too.
Tim

Post by Tim »

They are hard enough to get here.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
niggey1

Post by niggey1 »

tried Australia and been quoted $795 plus freight just for the roll cage. awaiting a response from runamoke at the moment but might end up buying english roof bows and then making a rollcage to suit
Tim

Post by Tim »

Roll bars are a problem because the are bulky, so the freight quote is usually based on 'cubic', i.e the legth X width X height (in metres) multiplied by 250. A roll bar calculates out to be huge huge, even though they only weigh a few kilos.

I had to get one freighted from the mainland several years ago but the supplier was able to persuade the shipping company not to charge cubic and it worked out heaps cheaper.

Also, if you're buying one already made, make sure that it suits your year model. In my ignorance I bought one to fit a late model side fill Moke and one of the legs wanted to rest right on top of the fuel filler. I ended up modifying an old one I had and getting it powder coated and it worked out very nicely.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, back in the 80's I had a Roll Cage for a Moke, made by Safety Devices, http://www.safetydevices.com/ may be worth giving them a call.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
niggey1

Post by niggey1 »

hi just had a quote from minisport auz and been quoted £3500 for tombstone and rear bench seats and a roll cage ( includes delivery) has anybody got any ideas of what seats will go in i.e normal mini, mx5 etc. also got a mechanic mate with equipment to make a roll cage as spoke to safety devices and they're saying a good 6 months at least due to work load they have.
many thanks
Tim

Post by Tim »

The seats Minisport Aus have are Chinese repro ones. You may be able to find the same seats in the UK, if there is someone bringing Choke parts in.

Mini seats don't fit easily but can probably be modified to fit. The tombstone seats used in the '77 -'79 Californian are just the usual Aussie high back tube framed seats, fitted with a rubber diaphragm (I assume from a Mini) in the base and given a nice cover. The '80 onwards ones were a bit more like a proper seat and had a reclining mechanism.

I assume portuguese Moke seats would bolt straight in, and early MX5 seats are popular, but do need a little bit of work underneath. You could also look at some of the other narrow cars, maybe Suzuki Cappucino or Daihatsu Copen. Smart 4 Two seats look like they'd fit.

If designing a roll cage, make sure you consider access for rear passengers. Mine was good until I fitted a rear seat, and now its difficult for rear passengers to get in and out, especially if i have the top on.

Tim
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

good morning.. I just happen to have new seat of roo bars and new moke top with side curtains in STOCK in North Carolina.. here is the good part.. I also ship old muscle cars and VW split window buses to the UK.. a few times a year. and can put the roo bars and top inside the container for FREE. email me direct at bille.cox@hotmail.com bill cox LIC NC dealer www.montecarlomini.com 001.704.487.6406

Return to “Wanted”