Tyre Pressures and general update

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Drake
MMC Member

Tyre Pressures and general update

Post by Drake »

Hi All
Hope all is well in Moke world, This last year i've been slowly trying to get my AMC CUB to a stage that I feel safe driving it. I'm now almost there and just need some help on tyre pressures.
Originally when I built it it drove awful - The Cub is a slightly differant set up to a Moke in that it does not have a rear subframe otherwise its basic Mini.
I established that the previous owner had sat all the suspension way too low - due to no movement it was bending my shock mount bolts. Thats fixed now, raised suspension front and rear (height is fully adjustable) New shock bolts and it drove really good. No longer causing issues going over speed bumps !!

Next - following advice on here (I need to tow the Cub) I have had an 'A' frame fitted to the Cub using Armitage in Yorkshire, first trip home and it was trying to rip the tyres off and the castor was not working.
Used a guy that is awesome on wheel alingments and he did a full 4 wheel geometry report for me and adjusted as necessary. Basically he centralised the steering wheel/set the castor and adjusted the toe. Feedback was I could do with some adjustable camber arms and adjustbable rear radius arms (that may be difficult given the Cub design) But otherwise he passed it and said it will drive much better.

I decided to drive the cub back the same way (a and b roads - good mix about 6 miles) anyways what a differance, I had some serious fun driving it back. One thing as well is that there is not a squeak or a rattle anywhere. The only noise you can hear other than the engine is the speedo cogs turning.

Which leads me to the next question, I'm pretty comfortable that after a year of tinkering and playing about with stuff that the Cub is as good as it can be (subject to the advise from the alingment guy)
The Cub is fitted with 5Jx12" Supalite wheels with 165/60/12 Yokohama tyres.

What tyre pressures should I be running these at?

Just after guidance really - I guess the Cub weighs similiar to a Moke (maybe heavier due to construction)

Anyways still wiping the grin off my face following the drive at the weekend. Fingers crossed it tows ok behing my camper as taking it the Festival at Portmerion this weekend (will be trying it tonight!!)
Drake
MMC Member

Re: Tyre Pressures and general update

Post by Drake »

I'm due to set off to north Wales tomorrow so did the usual googling. We all know that's where the facts are. Could only find info related to the mini. That suggested 28 front and 26 rear. I'll go with that as a starter and let you know how I get on.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

At a guess I'd say they would probably be around the same pressures as a Portuguese moke, though I don't know what they are!
Anyway, Moke's generally seem to need slightly lower pressures than minis from what I recall
Come on summer
Drake
MMC Member

Post by Drake »

Thanks Nigel. Just about to set off for Wales. I'll let you know how it goes. ..

Return to “Moke Talk”