Donuts on the front suspension

mauritiusmoke

Donuts on the front suspension

Post by mauritiusmoke »

Hello guys,

I have problems with my donuts, and I would like to change them, I saw a good procedure for that on https://www.moke.com.au/in-the-garage/s ... e-rebuildd
Living in Mauritius, it is very hard to find spare parts or send a package from UK or somewhere else (except if someone wants to come with :P). Today I found 2 in one local shop, but the guy knows that it is for mini (that's all).

I need the car to drive everyday, so I just can't take the opportunity to remove everything just to see and won't be able to re assembly and be block with everything down on the ground until I find them.

The parts are written as follow : Austin 6651 suspension bumper A850 dunlop 2A4342 . Someone knows this reference,
Or if someone has the sizes of a new standard donut and want to share me it, I will be the happiest guy here, and I will go Monday to check the measurement.

My car is a scout AEM, but I think it the same parts.

Best regards from Mauritius.
From France, living in Mauritius with a AEM scout 998cc 1987_88
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Donuts on the front suspension

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It's pretty safe to say that all the donuts are the same as each other and any that you will get will fit. The place you will probably have a problem is getting a suspension compression tool to change them over
Come on summer
mauritiusmoke

Post by mauritiusmoke »

Thanks,

You mean that if it' is not the good one, it's will not be able to compress it enough?

Can I change it without removing the engine?

Jeremy.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

You don't need to remove the engine. You will,however,need to compress the donut to remove and replace the top suspension arm. This is where the tool is needed
Come on summer
mauritiusmoke

Post by mauritiusmoke »

ok, thank you very much.

I will check if I can find that or just build it. There is no difference with mini 1300, about the donuts?

Thanks.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Its quite common to build a cone compression tool, there must be places on the internet to show you how. You must be careful of the thread used however. Originally Mokes (and Minis) had imperial threads in the rubber cone, but the modern replacements generally use metric threads, so you may need a tool that can do both imperial and metric threads.

cheers
Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Wally2
MMC Member

Post by Wally2 »

The tool required can be obtained from Mini Spares
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... ck to shop
Useful info is available here
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chang ... hM2R4Ojtts
Cheers
Chris
Chris
WEEMOKE
JUX180D
mauritiusmoke

Post by mauritiusmoke »

Thanks to all,

I changed the 4 donuts of my "fake moke"" :) this week end, but I have 2 things strange.

In the front:
- I have a difference space between the front subframe and the body (photo) 1 finger on the right side and 2 and a half on the right. That was already before I have done the suspension. From where I can have a problem.
- The bar from the bottom to the front, how to set the nut, to tighten or release the pressure, how to determine the right position?

From the rear:
- I had 9mm spacer on the rod end before changing the suspension cone, after putting a new one, I wasn't able to fix the damper, I ask 200kgs of people to go in the car to fix it, but it is in the extended position and more everytime. It is very bad and now the rear is fully rigid.
Should I remove the 8mm on each tulip to leave the suspension going upper, or change the damper, or drive without?

Thanks all,

Jérémy from Mauritius :D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Jeremy, I don't know what would cause the first problem, but it could just be bad tolerances when the body was made. Or it might be a ditorted subframe.

At the rear I would take the spacers out. Mokes normally don't have a spacer (or perhaps 1-2mm). I suspect the extra spacer has been to compensate for the old rubber cones having been compressed.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
mauritiusmoke

Post by mauritiusmoke »

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your answer, that was my first opinion, I remove all spacer this morning, at least I start on a good base, I will check the height of each side and try to compensate with spacer to make it the same.

For the front, I really don't have idea, except remove the front frame with the engine and check on master frame.

If someone had this problem too, what was the solution or the cause.

Thanks.

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”