It's died

Doug G
MMC Member

It's died

Post by Doug G »

Will not start.

It started then died about 2 minutes later.

Oil light etc will not now come on when ignition key turned, BUT the engine will turn over. Aaagh !

Plugs were oily but I leaned them.

ALMOST (not quite) willing to pay for a good competent Mini Moke electrician to come out and rewire the Mini Moke.
No pay, but Air fare(Economy from UK), accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner and as much rum as you wish(AFTER the work is completed in a week) would be included, and could stay for an extra few days[makes sure the Mini Moke is working properly].

Orderly queue with qualifications at the ready.

Your partner can come (you pay airfare) and stay as well.
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: It's died

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

I'd offer, but we're off to NYC for Christmas/new year Alternatively you could go on (for example) the autosparks website and order yourself a new loom to be delivered, when it arrives fit it yourself!...it's pretty easy especially with the old one as a guide, a copy of the wiring diagram and all the wires correctly coloured
It'd certainly be cheaper too......and that's just the rum costs I'm talking about!
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Rum is (as Mr Kipling would say) exceedingly inexpensive there. :lol:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Thanks. I found this.
CLASSIC BRITISH QUALITY

WIRING HARNESSES
Made in Britain
NEED HELP? PLEASE CALL US ON
+44 (0) 115 949 7211
sales@autosparks.co.uk
Sign In Register Save for Later
(0) £0.00
OEM PRODUCTS
WIRING HARNESSES
BESPOKE WIRING

VEHICLE TYPE Cars

MARQUE MINI

MODEL Mini Moke

MARK OR SERIES Australian

DRIVE RHD & LHD

AUSTRALIAN MINI MOKE WIRING HARNESS SET

PART NO: 328FINISH:PVC Cables with a Taped Outer Covering
Australian Mini Moke with Single Speed Wiper
£279.84 inc VAT
£233.20 ex VAT

Now to google videos on Youtube on 'How to replace the loom on your Mini Moke!' :roll:
Tim

Post by Tim »

Replacing the loom is dead easy. Th enew looms tend to be much softer and more flexible than the originals and they go in easier than the old one comes out.

The only difficult part is getting the loom through to the rear. Its much easier if you can drop the fuel tank out. I tie bits of strong cord to the end of it and pull them through, leaving them in place to pull the new loom back. Make certain there is a grommet at every point the loom passes through a hole in sheetmetal

Be absolutely certain that you are getting the right loom. Autosparks do a good loom, but there are heaps of variations. I had trouble with the one from my Traveller, which turned out to be for a later model, so it had to go back, but I found Paul to be really helpful and after a bit of conferring I got exactly what I wanted. If you get it right the first time you won't have to pay for three lots of postage. One area you need to be particular about is whether you have a seperate regulator for the alternator, or whether it is built in. Also, if you only have a single speed wiper motor that makes it easier, because there are a couple of variations of multi-speed. You may also find that some of the connectors at the extremities need to be fitted, or changed, (e.g. bullets for spades) as these vary a bit depending on the type of lights fitted.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Have requested price of harness from Australia.

Yet another item to do.

However when done I should have more confidence in the Moke.

Will keep you all posted.

How many here have

i) renewed the wiring harness on their Mini Moke

and

ii) did you do it yourself?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Rebuilt the one in my Aussie, made one from scratch for the South African but on the latest addition to the stable I've gone the posh route and ordered one from autosparks......just because the cotton outer braiding looks so much nicer than loom tape :lol:
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

And btw, it was cheaper than the prices they quoted you in your last post.......and that was before I applied my 10% discount code :P
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Comparing prices between Vinwire and autosparks there's not much price difference. I got my mini one from the UK, because it was for a UK built Mini and at the time I could get it VAT exempt, but if I was after a loom for an Australian car, I would get it from Australia.

I've made looms from scratch, by cutting down looms from different vehicles, used second-hand looms out of other Mokes and fitted a brand new loom (to a Mini). The brand new loom is the best by far. Making one from scratch is tricky, I am finicky about observing the wiring colour code, so you need to source a lot of short lengths of wire in the correct colour (or use an old loom), and you usually need to re-use some of the connectors. At the end of the day you end up with a complete loom, but it may still have wires that have some damage to the insulation and connectors that might be corroded or a bit loose.

As I mentioned above when you order a new loom, make certain that you let the person making it know exactly what you have in the way of generator/alternator and whether you have a seperate alternator regulator or not. Also whether you have a single or two speed wiper motor and where the wiper motor speed switch is located. There may also be slight differences for LHD or RHD. You want it right first time.

Australian looms were never braided, the early ones were taped and later ones were bare, just taped at junctions. This is good because the braiding is expensive. The untaped ones look really untidy, but they make troubleshooting really easy.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

I took the advice of a fellow forumite Moke and bought a wiring harness from halfway around the world.

Now to await it's arrival . . . . and pay the 59% Duty etc on the Cost Insurance AND freight (CIF). :shock:
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

The loom/harness has arrived.

Now the next step to install it myself if I can't find a competent person to do it.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Don’t go installing it just yet........sit and admire its beauty for a while first, you’ll never see it again once its in there.
Come on summer
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Still haven't forund a competent person yet (still inquiring) and dread doing to myself.

Return to “Electrical”