Looking to buy this moke, need advice, total rookie!

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Toyrover

Looking to buy this moke, need advice, total rookie!

Post by Toyrover »

Hi,
I am new to Mokes, but deep into series landrovers. Having attended British field meets with the rovers I have always wanted a moke. Went and saw this one, it says it is a 1970, but I am confused, the serial number on motor says an 850cc, the serial number tag on body, I don’t know how to translate, and then finally it has 12 inch wheels, and disk brakes on front. The other peculiar thing is that the fuel filler is on side of tub and not on top of tub. I really like the car, but don’t want to buy a car that has vin swapped. I attached pictures of the tags I found, is it possible to have these options on a 1970? Thank you so much I’m advance!! Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dean
MMC Member

Re: Looking to buy this moke, need advice, total rookie!

Post by Dean »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
That is definitely not a 1970 model but a Portuguese Moke from the late 1980's.
The numbers are not for that car.
The engine number implies an 850 unit but you'll probably find it's really a later 998 unit.
I suggest the numbers have been modified to give the impression it is a much earlier car and thus circumvent local registration laws in the US.
I'm sure others with more knowledge of US import/registration laws will add more info to this.
Dean
Richard King
MMC Member

Post by Richard King »

AS Dean says definately a Portuguese built Moke,

I saw a video ( you tube from memory) of Mini Cooper being crushed that had been imported on false paperwork. that purported it to be older than it was.
My advice based on this would be to AVOID
Martin108

Post by Martin108 »

I have been doing some research on an old engine I have and found the following site to help with identification.

Guess-works.com

The number you have put up details a 1974 A series 850CC engine.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hi, just had a look at your VIN, it appears to be wrong. The AAB bit is right, but there should be some spaces in the number:-

http://www.love-mini.co.uk/vin-numbers/classic

This web site shows how the VIN should be laid out. Leave well alone
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

yea.. it is a re vin. the second vin number.. is stamped just under the lip of the bonnett. and above the carb. in firewall/ bulkhead.. scratch off the paint.. I can email you a photo.. this is moke made in Portugal.. this vin should be 17 digits.. starting with TW7. the UK austin mokes started with AABIL I think.. one to RUN from.. later bill cox bille.cox@hotmail.com phone.. 1.704.487.6406

Return to “Moke Talk”