Electric Mokes

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Doug G
MMC Member

Electric Mokes

Post by Doug G »

What is your view of Electric Mokes?

I would miss the exhilarating sound of the engine as the revs wind up.

. . and you?
Having a moking good time!
werewolf

Re: Electric Mokes

Post by werewolf »

Boring.. slow and can NOT be driven on roads here in USA.. when speed limit is over 25 MPH.. basically gated places. like the Villages in florida,, btw. they have 60,000 golf carts registered there.. later bc
Tim

Post by Tim »

They don't have to be boring or slow. There are numerous options for EV conversions now, that will give your Moke vastly more power and torque than it left the factory with.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

werewolf wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 14:59 Boring.. slow and can NOT be driven on roads here in USA.. when speed limit is over 25 MPH.. basically gated places. like the Villages in florida,, btw. they have 60,000 golf carts registered there.. later bc
Slow?

Surely they can exceed 25mph. But what is the USA authorities reason of objection to them?
Having a moking good time!
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

doug and timg.. who know why the logic of ONLY 25 MPH for LSV mokes.??. low speed vehicles in the USA>. I heard it is $50,000 USD fine if you modify by the EPA.. later bc
dpstjp
MMC Member

Post by dpstjp »

My sister sent me this link this morning:

https://mokexp.com/destinations/solvang/
Jez

Post by Jez »

I wouldn't use the word Moke.

And/or the word electric in the same sentence.

Jez
DBL 785B
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

But they are coming..................mark my words, by the time your travelling by Zimmer frame they’ll be here :twisted:
Come on summer
Jez

Post by Jez »

Zimmer frame ?

Speak for yourself ! :)

Jez
DBL 785B
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

I understand the new E moke.. being made in France..they . will have 72 volts and can cruise at 60 MPH.. I have NOT heard what the range is yet... later bc
Tim

Post by Tim »

Make your own. There's a lot of people out there converting classics to electric. The most economical way is to salvage a crashed EV, if you can find one.

https://www.icon4x4.com/derelict/pastprojects/37

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

Hi all.
1st post, please go easy on me.

I have just put a deposit on a ‘72 Aussie, with the intention for doing an EV conversion (how am I doing so far).
When the car arrives is week or so it will be less the engine, and my vague plan is to use Tesla batteries in a 5S or 4S2P configuration if space and budget allows, I will most likely keep the gearbox, blank it off and mount the hyper 9 motor above, with direct gear or chain drive,
another option would be to remove the gearbox and fit a chain drive diff off of a bike engined conversion, or more radically convert to RWD, but I haven’t found much info on hanging a rear axle yet....so too many options, but I’m sure the correct path will present itself once I get started, at the moment though just lots of research.

So there you have it, I’m sure many of you will be crying sacrilege, and as a fellow car nut I don’t blame you at all, but since the governments announcement on accelerating the ban on (new) Petrol and diesel cars, it got me speculating that new electric cars will be getting ever cheaper and hence popular, normal/boring cars will end up at the scrappers, and only the cool stuff and classics will be left...but will fuel then be taxed to death... minimum unit pricing to save us from ourselves??

I also just fancied the challenge of an EV conversion and a due to its simplicity a Moke made perfect sense.

Be gentle.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Welcome in. What we really really want is a detailed and ongoing story of your progress once started, I’ve a feeling that this will be the only option for many in the years to come
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Oh........and no RWD, it’s just not right don’t you know :wink:
Come on summer
Forestway

Post by Forestway »

I hear you, but 120hp and 173fp of torque it’s vey likely to spin the wheel (just a bit) and isn’t spinning the rears a bit more fun ?
Rear drive is however just a remote possibility, it’s gonna be expensive enough.
My plan is to do the electrical and mechanical work, use it for a while to see what needs tweaking and then strip it back down for paint and general tidying....the good news is that the car is sound no rust at all.
When I heard it running with the tuned 1308 I almost gave up my EV plans on the spot, but the owners wants the hot A series for a hill climb sprite, and I had already explained/ convinced the boss that we really do need to do this project...just think of the trees

Return to “Moke Talk”