1966 moke build

YOUR own topic about YOUR own Moke.
Willie_B

Re: 1966 moke build

Post by Willie_B »

Just found out when installing the springs for the Dzus fasteners that the the top battery cover needs longer fastener part. Have 2 different lengths on order as I was not sure which would fit best.

Got the shell back from having the crappy primer stripped and good stuff applied. Now to skim coat over the welding I had done and fix any other low and high spots getting ready for paint. Glad it is on a cart that I can roll outdoors as this part is going to be real messy.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Was talking to the powder coater I use about the moke when he asked about color choice. I told him that the body shop painter did look not pleased when I told him I have over 50 extra bits that need painting besides the body. The coater suggested that I find a powder color I like and have the small/light bits done in that then let the painter match that. GREAT IDEA. I just got the small bits back. I am going with light blue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Decided to build up the dash just to see how it's going to look. Not even close to needing it. Used white face lower gauges for an easier at a glance reading. In the middle of them is a 12vdc power port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live Laugh Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

Well there’s a thing! I found one of those switch extensions in a box while sorting the upstairs of the garage today :D N label though I’m afraid

P.S.
Aren’t you having a screen wash on your moke then?
Come on summer
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

No screen wash. Don't think the MK1 ever had them.

The Flick switch extension comes in handy on a LHD version. Bit more of a reach.
Live Laugh Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Yeah that’s what I thought. But I’ve seen a couple of pretty original mark 1s with a washer fitted, seems a pretty good idea and why would there be a hole there if it wasn’t needed?
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

As a P.S. it’s a round hole with a flat s not a thing that’s been drilled in after........
Come on summer
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

I am thinking the unused hole is for a wiper switch. Depending which wiper system was installed maybe. Single is switched at the motor, dual on the dash in that hole???
Live Laugh Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

True, but the “mark2” had the twin wipers s why would there be a hole there on the earlier models ??......unless they built them in a tardis :lol:
Come on summer
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

I am not building back to stock but still want it to look right. So even though I am using an HIF38 carb I will be using a stock early air filter housing. I have a small shop lathe so I turned a spacer for the top of the air horn to raise the housing to clear the carb. This made the center screw post too short so I turned down a threaded coupler nut and soldered it to a wing nut.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Another keep it looking stock was the coil mount. I am going to run an alternator but still wanted to mount the coil there. Start with a coil mount bracket to get an idea of what is needed. Some CAD (cardboard aided design) work then cit it out of some aluminum channel. Glue the bolts in from underneath. A large band to hold it in place and it turned out just like I hoped.
Live Laugh Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Getting there.
Live Laugh Moke
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

It’s all lining up for a winter of putting together
Come on summer
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

I am not fond of the "MOKE" badge on the front but still wanted one to keep it looking more stock. So I cut a very thin piece of duct work steel the same size as the badge. Glued it onto the back. Place a rare earth magnet on the rear side where the badge goes and it works. I can put it on and off when wanted. No driving with it on, I figure that vibration would cause scratches. Now do I get real fancy and try to cut the head off 2 rivets and glue them on the front...
Live Laugh Moke

Return to “Project "M"”