Does it suck or blow?

frenchjohn

Does it suck or blow?

Post by frenchjohn »

I am just about to start the reassembly of the cylinder head and realised that I didn't make a note of which way the cooling fan is fitted when I removed it. Doing a bit of research with my best friend google it seems that the fan should be fitted to blow the hot air from the engine bay through the radiator, this seems counter intuitive to me, is this correct?
If it is, is there anybody who makes a fan that draws the cool air through the radiator? That to me would seem to be a sensible modification.
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Willie_B

Re: Does it suck or blow?

Post by Willie_B »

It blows out. If you are using the plastic fan one side is labeled engine side. I do not think you can make one that sucks work. The air coming in the front grille has to go somewhere so you would be working against that pressure.
Live Laugh Moke
Doug G
MMC Member

Post by Doug G »

Nail polish is your friend (or a permanent marker) to mark both sides of a component and also lining it up.
Having a moking good time!
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The fan will only go way round. If you mount it the wrong way the mounting bolts will pull through the plastic of the fan and the engine will overheat while it’s doing that. Make sure the fan is clean and have a close look at it, on one side it says “Engine Side” so you can’t mount it the wrong way round.
As an extra bonus the metal inserts that the mounting bolts go through are a larger diameter on the side of the fan furthest from the engine
Come on summer
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Oh, and PS, if you stand next to the wheel arch at the fan side while the engine is hot you’ll fee a nice warm breeze
Come on summer
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Thanks for your help people, what Willie_B says make sense, when driving along the fan helps to push the air through the rad, if it were the other way round the fan would be working against the airflow, maybe the designers did know what they were doing after all :D
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re my last post. Take a look at the picture below......as I say, it’s hard to see but it’s there.
513BA8B0-C19C-47E6-A2E6-C635D60A93D0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Come on summer
frenchjohn

Post by frenchjohn »

Thanks Nigel, my fan is metal, so no markings unfortunately

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”