brake pedal travel

mick west

brake pedal travel

Post by mick west »

I am having problems getting a decent brake pedal travel, at the mo, its to long(in travel). I have all new braking system, have bled the brakes many times.The moke has 8.4 discs up front It is a aussie bred machine. Any one got any ideas of how to get a decent pedal? I have read in the forum about braided hoses, do these really give better results?Also, I have read about longer rods from pedal to cylinder?
Only about the last one third of the pedal travel works. Single line brakes are fitted.
cheers for any help, Mick West
grantourer
MMC Member

Re: brake pedal travel

Post by grantourer »

Hi Mick. Have you properly adjusted the rear brakes? This can cause excess pedal travel
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
mick west

Post by mick west »

Hi Graham,
Yes rear brakes all adjusted perfectly. If I clamp off both front hoses, the pedal is to die for!, so one would assume the prob lays with the front brakes.I have bled and bled the dam things with no improvement. I have used vacuum type bleeders, pressure type and conventional bleeding, till I am blue in the face!I have taken the callipers off and turned them upside down in an attempt to remove any air. The pedal at the mo is about 1/3rd does not pump up! Brakes seem to work ok, but I would like a better pedal.

Cheers.Mick West
G-J Westerveld

Post by G-J Westerveld »

a known problem with mini moving from drum to discs.
you need a bigger main brake cylinder.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The master cylinder should be OK. I've converted Mokes to disk twice, and retained the standard drum master cylinder both times. The first time I had tin-can type m/c and fitted 7 1/2" cooper S disks and calipers. The current Moke has Metro 4 Pot calipers and the modern m/c with the plastic reservoir that replaced the tin-can type. Both have/had a good hard pedal with no excessive travel - although the Cooper S discs were too small for the big wheel Moke and weren't much good.

The fronts do sound like the problem. Are the hoses new? I have braided ones on the current setup, but for single pot calipers rubber ones should be fine, in good condition.

I had a lot of problem with my clutch hydraulics recently. I worked through the whole system replacing and reconditioning everything and it turned out to be the hose, the very last part that I got to. It looked OK, but was all soft and perished inside.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The reason why you should fit the larger master cylinder when changing from drums to discs is that there is a possibility that if the pads wear right down to nothing there isn’t enough capacity in the smaller cylinder. The result of this (note that we are talking about Mr Average here who doesn’t keep an eye on things) is that the first indication of worn brakes is the fact that you can’t stop! With the larger cylinder the first indication is that you get that metal to metal noise and scored discs......but at least you can still stop
Come on summer

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”