Portuguese hood

Rich Wils

Portuguese hood

Post by Rich Wils »

Hi,

I have a 1988 Portuguese Moke, it currently has its original hood with the metal angle bar at the front that locks on with the 2 cams and turnbuckle fasteners on the body and the uprights of the rollcage and poppers on the rear horizontal bar.

I find the turnbuckles on the uprights inconvenient (sticking out catching things) and the rear side panel design is not convenient for rear passengers.

I make good use of the rollcage in the summer carrying kayaks so that will stay, although I am designing roof bars that will allow the use of the roof whilst carrying the kayaks.

I have purchased a new windscreen and surround that appears to be for an Australian moke with lift dot fasteners riveted to the frame and a different mirror fixing.

I am happy to have the frame adapted and a new hood made but I would like some advice, what would be the best way to go? Which method of attachment at the front gives the least water ingression.
I am aware of the disadvantage of the bar making the hood awkward to stow but I can cope with that.

Starting from scratch what would be the perfect hood design for the Portuguese moke?
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Portuguese hood

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop water coming in to a moke........about the only way to do that is only go out when it’s guaranteed sunshine :lol:

But seriously, the Lift the dot fasteners work pretty well. Having said that Johng has a Portuguese with modified fasteners so he may be able to help.
Come on summer
johng
MMC Member

Post by johng »

I only have a roof - no sides as I found them too much trouble to put roof up & down quickly. I have the angle bar and use the original catches plus I fitted an additional tie down each side after losing the whole roof on Portuguese motorway :o
sdrisseeuw

Post by sdrisseeuw »

I recently purchased a 1990 Portuguese Moke and imported it to the United States. I'd like to get some work done on the convertible top. Can you confirm that the angled metal bracket you mention in the posts is wrapped in the hood vinyl? I believe you are describing the front edge of the top/hood that sits down on top of the windscreen. It is held in place by a lug on each side of the windscreen and a lever:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/04az2nY ... ogkladBRDQ

I'd like to find a replacement metal bracket with levers to attach a top/hood to the windscreen. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Steve
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Hello, Jean - George at Mokoncept does the bar:-

https://shop.mokoncept.fr/fr/baches-mok ... -1995.html
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate