Moke Antics

Questions (and answers) about Mokes that are not covered elsewhere.
Tim

Moke Antics

Post by Tim »

The weekend before last wasn't great. The weather here has started to turn toward spring so I was out and about in the Moke. Unfortunately I had an incident of "failure to proceed". At the local hardware shop I reversed out fo a parking space, only to discover the clutch dragging then failing completely. I briefly flirted with the idea of driving home with no clutch, but after a couple of trials realised that stopping and starting again in traffic would be pretty interesting, so I pushed it back into a parking space and called my wife for a rescue.

I had to hire a trailer and retrieve it, unfortunately I was spotted by spies, and pictures of me with the trailer-of-shame were already on social media before I got home.
breakdown2.jpg
The problem turned out to be the clutch arm.
ClutchArm.jpg
That's the one all the suppliers describe as the improved heavy duty one. I fitted it in 2019, so its hardly been used. At the same time I also fitted the newly available flat-faced throwout bearing. It was totally knackered too.

Anyway, its now all back together with the very last of the old flat-faced bearings from my stash, and I found the original arm and built the ball up with weld. Everything is working nicely again, and the weather was sunny and warmish on Sunday, so I had to have plenty of test drives.
Moke.jpg
Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Re: Moke Antics

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

It comes to something when the paint lasts longer than the casting
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, very disappointing. I think it is becoming more and more of a problem with repro parts that look great but don't meet the spec of the originals.

The parts I replaced were the 'uprated' version of each of the parts from a well known Mini Spare parts supplier in the UK. They lasted approximately 2 1/2 years of low mileage driving. Its pretty sad.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've been at it again. When I had the Moke serviced earlier this year the mechanic advised me that the old HS4 carburettor was totally stuffed and leaking so much air that he couldn't tune it. I had an old HIF44 that I managed to get secondhand several years ago (they are pretty hard to get here), so I pulled it out and gave it a thorough rebuild. I wanted to keep the original appearance, so I chased down all the parts that were needed to retain the original air cleaner. I couldn't justify the cost of freight to get the elbow that goes from the air filter box to the carb, so I drew one up and 3D printed it.

It took ages to get all the parts here with shipping times taking weeks now, but once I had it all together I was able to fit it and get it running in a couple of hours. I was worried whether there would be enough clearance with the firewall, but there's enough room. The body of the HIF44 is slightly shorter than an HS4, but the bottom of the float chamber sticks out further.
PXL_20210912_013242060.MP.jpg
I've fitted a K&N filter inside the box, and it all looks fairly original still. I'm going to print a nice extension to the 'bare' end of the air filter box to tidy it up.
PXL_20210912_013437735.MP.jpg
Of course I had to make a complete guess about what needle to use, but the one I selected (BDL) seems to be pretty close. It still needs a proper tune up, but its running much more smoothly than before.

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

Looks good Tim. How about one of these, in Red, for the Airbox? https://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/retrospor ... rb-airbox/
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

They're very neat. I was thinking about drawing up something similar and printing it in black plastic, or maybe just printing off one of these, with the Mini logo taken off. From here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2099380

Tim
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

That looks a very good solution, and economical if you can print it.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

The filament is pretty cheap, unfortunately I used up the last of the good black stuff doing the elbow, so I can either buy a full roll, or I could print it in one of the rainbow of other scraps we have. Maybe I'll do that and paint it black.

Tim
Tim

Post by Tim »

I wasn't happy with the way the 'nozzle' above printed, and it didn't fit properly, so I drew up my own. You could argue that I copied the DSN Classics one, but realistically that's just the shape they need to be to fit.

It's far from perfect but it tidys-up the inlet. I like to imigine that I've increased perfomance by streamlining the airflow into the filter. I'm sure David Vizard would approve.
PXL_20211026_004950986.MP.jpg
Tim
grantourer
MMC Member

Post by grantourer »

That looks really neat, and yes you are limited on the design, tube with a rolled edge.
Regards, Graham & Judith
1981 Aussie Moke
1989 Portuguese Moke
1979 Clubman Estate
Tim

Post by Tim »

I finally got round to putting the 3D model for the HIF44 elbow up on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5733101

The little trim ring to tidy up the end of the air filter box is here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5094050

If anyone needs an elbow to fit an HIF44 to a standard round air cleaner, or wants to tidy up the end of the air filter feel free to download the files and print them off.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I’ll have to hope Santa brings me a 3D printer for Christmas won’t I :wink:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Depends how badly you want the parts!

There are plenty of online places that you can just submit the model to and they will print it and send it to you.

However you live in the UK, so its probably easier to just buy a genuine elbow from ebay or an "airbox inlet stub" from DSN Classics. Postage is an absolute killer now, I'm paying 2-3 times the cost of parts in postage to get stuff from the UK. Printing those parts myself costs less than a dollar, and I have them quicker than anyone could post them to me.

Its a shame I can't do mechanical components.

Tim
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

The problem there is that I’d need an address that’s in one place :lol: ………….of course, the flip side is I’d need 240 volts to run a printer :roll:
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Oh Nigel, if you wanted a 3D printer you'd find a way! You could run one in the back of your Moke with a small inverter to connected to the battery.

Incidentally where do you keep your Moke at the moment? Is there a garage on your narrow boat?

Tim

Return to “Moke Talk”