Steering rack play

peterbradbury

Steering rack play

Post by peterbradbury »

Hi All,

I have some play in the inner track rod on my Mokes steering rack. Do I recall hearing that racks for english Mokes are no longer available? If so how difficult is it to rebuild myself if at all?

Thanks

Peter
67 Morris Moke
Jez

Re: Steering rack play

Post by Jez »

Hi Pete,

A few years ago I had a problem with my steering rack, and I simply ordered a new one for a classic Mini from Mini Spares, which worked out fine.

Jez
DBL 785B
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

The rack that’s NLA is the one for the Mark 1 type mini. The steering arms for this rack are different to the later (mark 2) minis. You can’t mix and match mark2 arms and mark1 racks.
As jez says, the easiest and cheapest way is to order a bog standard rack from whichever supplier takes your fancy and if you want to be totally sure order a set of steering arms at the same time. I don’t think they’re massively expensive
Come on summer
peterbradbury

Post by peterbradbury »

Thanks both.

Looks like a new rack it is (just done it on one of the other minis, can't say I'm excited to do it again! Think I've some some spare steering arms for a later car hidden somewhere so won't need to worry about that. I may make the change to front discs at the same time.
67 Morris Moke
Willie_B

Post by Willie_B »

Live Laugh Moke

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”