Steering rack replacement

Jan

Steering rack replacement

Post by Jan »

Some advice, please...

I have to replace the steering rack on my Portuguese moke, 1988.

Can this be changed without lowering the sub-frame, or is the job going to be a more time consuming task than I had hoped!

Any advice from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan
Tim

Re: Steering rack replacement

Post by Tim »

Jan, the rack is trapped between the toeboard and the subframe, so you have to at least tilt the rear of the subframe down, but you don't have to drop it right out.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

One point. It’s do-able but it really needs a vehicle lift or inspection pit as crawling around under axle stands is not much fun…………it used to be 30 to 40 years ago but not now :D
Come on summer
Tim

Post by Tim »

Crawling around under axle stands is my hobby. That, and wishing I had a hoist.

Tim
Any sarcastic, ignorant, libellous, unfounded or stupid opinions expressed in or through this message are the opinions of the author and do not reflect the opinions or views of any member of The Mini Moke Club or the opinions or views of any other individual.
Jan

Post by Jan »

Many thanks to all who have provided advice.

I will have to think of the best way to lift the front of the vehicle. My ramps would be ideal, if only I didn't need to remove the wheels!

Best wishes,

Jan
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

What ever method of support you decide on, usually under the body, just make sure it’s very secure as that’s a lot of weight hanging over your head while you’re banging, rattling and usually cursing under there :D
Come on summer

Return to “Steering/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres”