Fuel Pump

bevsimmons

Fuel Pump

Post by bevsimmons »

my wife's moke died through lack of fuel. when tested the fuel wasn't getting to the carb. Car is a Californian and pump is mechanical on the Engine block.
Ordered a new pump from Somerford but when fitted still no fuel! Old pump appears to work when hand activated. Mechanic suggests as car has been
unused for sometime that the cam lobe that operates the pump may be defective. He suggests fitting an electric pump instead. Two questions
1 have we missed something obvious?
2 if we fit an electric pump , which one and where do we site it?
Any help appreciated as wife is distraught!
Don Simmons
Willie_B

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by Willie_B »

Blow some air back down the pipe/hose to the fuel tank to make sure the end is not blocked. But dial the pressure back on the air first, don't want 100psi.
Live Laugh Moke
bevsimmons

Post by bevsimmons »

Thanks Willie
already tried that, with the pump off the car and manually operated we can get fuel up to the on-line filter so its not blocked.
I already bought a new mech pump which test ok when off the car as did the old one when removed. They just won't pump
fuel up to the filter let alone up to the pump and also the carb. Car was running perfectly till it died and no other engine
noises which if the problem was the camshaft moving would have heard something untoward. The car has been standing a long time
before we bought it but with fresh super unleaded has done a hundred miles since without issue. At my wits end
Don
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi,it does sound like the cam has worn,it wasn't unusual on older cars either the arm on the pump would wear or the cam,along time ago I can remember an old guy in a garage building the arm up on the pump with a bit of weld,it did work from what I remember but not sure how long for.your choice for electric pump would be a new su pump or a facet solid state pump,if not it gets expensive checking the cam and replacing if worn.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Post by Nigel(no top)Sykes »

When you’re putting the fuel pump into the block you’re reaching down the back of the engine in a (relatively) difficult to reach position. It’s easy to get the arm of the pump in the wrong place for the cam to operate it properly so you could get the symptoms you describe. I’m sure I read in a service manual years ago about getting the pump in the correct orientation when refitting it or it wouldn’t pump fuel.
This scenario seems much more plausible than the camshaft wearing out
Come on summer
Shaun78

Post by Shaun78 »

Hi,nigel could be right that when fitting the new pump the arm gets in the wrong place,when fitting the pump did you feel a bit of resistance or did it just drop in like it wasn't on the cam lobe properly,can you or a friendly mechanic get a borescope and have a look at the cam for any sign of wear or a mark where the pump arm has been running.
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

Couple of problems. It’s a few years since I fitted it, but I do seem to recall there was a definite “feel” when it went in correctly….as you say, it could have been a feel of resistance. The other thing is, I left the moke behind in Harrogate when we moved (to Market Harborough this week, next week we’ll be living somewhere around Northampton, last week it was Leicester) So getting to look at anything would probably involve a day long train trip there and the same back
The good news is we should, with any luck and decent rainfall, be back on Yorkshire by Christmas.
Come on summer
bevsimmons

Post by bevsimmons »

thanks every one for your thoughts and suggestions. To add to the conversation the replacement pump was fitted by a classic car mechanic
and whilst it doesn't preclude that he fitted it incorrectly the previous one that we took out was not faulty and therefore an incorrectly
fitted pump would not appear to be the problem. It would seem therefore a worn cam lobe is more likely. As I don't want an engine out job
and as I said the car was running perfectly before the fuel issue it would seem to me that the best course of action is to go electric.
I have used Facit pumps before and they have always been reliable. If I go down this route where is the best place to site it?
Once again thanks for all the input.
Don and Bev Simmons
Nigel(no top)Sykes
MMC Member

I’d say on the side bin, on the floor. Just near the tank outlet. It’s where I put mine when I had one.
Come on summer
bevsimmons

Post by bevsimmons »

thanks Nigel

Return to “Cooling/Fuel/Exhaust”